Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-07-2003, 10:08 AM
islcuda

Gripe electronics

Hi everyone, I have 67 cuda with 440 that will be used just for race, for know i have electronic distributor on the 440 my question is , do I have to use ballast resistor and voltage regulator with this set up? I am going with 8 point painless wiring harness, thenks Tim
Old 02-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

The question is..why not??
neither will have a negative effect, and the ballast is there to aid starting...
the regulator may prevent blowing out your ignition module as well
Old 02-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Inactive User

The ignition (distribitor, ballast resistor, coil, ignition module, etc) is a seperate system from the charging system (alternator and regulator.)

First the question about the regulator; If you are going to run a charging system (alternator) you will need a regulator.
Some race cars do not run an alternator and charge the batterie(s) between rounds. Some alternators, usually refered to as "one-wire", have a regulator, but it is inside the alternator.
Anyhow, if you run an alternator you need some type of regulator.

Now about ignition systems and ballast resistors;
Most factory style electronic ignition systems basically operate on the coil in the same way as the old points system. The electronic system just uses a transistor "switch" in place of the points "switch". The main benifit of the electronic system is no point bounce, and very low maintance.
In this type of system the ballast resistor is used to control the current flow into the ignition coil, so the coil does not overheat.
Less current into the coil also means the electronic ignition switching transistor will run cooler also.
The ballast resistor is more important when running at low RPMs, because the points or electronic ignition "switch" is closed for a longer period, and this is the time the current needs to be limited. At higher RPM, the faster switching of the coil reduces the overall current draw.
In short, for Drag racing or short durations it is OK to run without a ballast resistor, but for the street, the ballast resistor shuld be used to protect the ignition coil and electronics.

Some aftermarket electronic ignitions control the coil current internally, and some factory electronic ignitions use ignition coils that limit current be their design.

Then there is the Capactive Discharge (CD) ignition systems (Like the MSD, Crane, etc), that operate the ignition coil in a different manner than the factory style ignitions. These CD ignition systems do not use a ballast resistor.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:16 PM
islcuda

Thumbs up that answers it all

Okay thanks guys, that pretty much covers it, the reason I was asking is cause have this 440 I purchased and it has electronic did=stributor that has been curved for this engine and that was it for electronics, I did not want to take a chance and leave anything out when I install in my car, so thanks again great board or what, Tim