Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Plutonium Member

Biggrin Sean Roe Supercharger & VEC2 report

Yesterday I went to my local Dodge dealer to see if my Viper Tech was un-busy enough to install my VEC2 and he was just finishing the installation of the VEC2 on VIPER GTS's beautiful Sappfire Blue and Silver stripes 2001 GTS. He said the installation of the VEC2 was easy and took about 30 minutes just like Sean roe said it would. VIPER GTS's car started right up the first time and sounded ungodly mean at idle. After it warmed up for 3 minutes Bobby, the Viper Tech, took it for a test ride per Sean's instructions. The PCM is disconnected during the installation of the VEC2 and it needs to be driven in order for it to learn how to drive the mighty Viper again. A short while later he came back grinning from ear-to-ear.

Having 2 Vipers at a dealership where normally there are no Vipers drew quite a crowd as my Viper was parked next to VIPER GTS's GTS for Bobby to work on. My Viper started up on the first try, too. Three minutes later I got to sit in the passenger seat of my own Viper for the first time and got taken for a test drive. (I never realized how hard it is to get in and out of the passenger seat compared to the driver's seat before.) The test drive went perfect - no detonation at all. I can see why my passengers say my Viper scares them (HeeHee!).

After dinner I remembered Sean Roe's instructions that after installation of his VEC2 that the Viper needs to be driven in order for the PCM to learn how to drive it again - yeah, like I need to be told that I need to drive my Viper.

I took it out and tried to get in as many driving conditions as possible so the PCM could learn how to drive. It felt like my PCM already knew how to drive in all situations already. I then found a section of interstate with almost no traffic on it and slowed down to 40 MPH, put it in 4th gear, and accellerated slowly up to 50 MPH and then introduced my Snake Pedal to my North California Viper Club Floor Mat fairly rapidly. Oh-My-Gosh! The Roe Supercharger is totally insane and by the time I let off the gas at 95 MPH I had to keep telling myself that I was in 4th gear and not 2nd gear at wide open throttle! The increase in accelleration as the RPMs come up pushed me back harder and harder. I think if I were on a closed course and stayed in 4th gear up to 6,000 RPM (150 MPH) that I would have been trying to convince myself that I was in 4th gear instead of full throttle in 1st gear.

The Combination of the Sean Roe Supercharger and the Roe VEC2 is even better than sliced bread. If you want a Viper that is much, much easier to drive in everyday driving conditions and can also give you a cardio-vascular workout - my heart rate was higher than normal for 2 hours after my full thottle run in 4th gear - If you have a GenII Viper, get the Roe Supercharger and VEC2 ordered right now!

http://www.roeracing.com/index.html?...arger%20System
Old 02-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Inactive User

So, how fast is that thing in the 1/4 mile?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Plutonium Member

Mopar Man -

Similarly equipped Vipers usually run 10.7 seconds ET and 132 MPH on the stock Viper Michelin Pilot Sports tires. The slowest anyone has run was a 11.1 seconds ET and 126 MPH, but he missed 4th gear. The fastest run (complete with timing slip) was 10.4 seconds and 136 MPH - this run was done using street legal drag tires and was done under cool temperatures.

I'll let those who know what they are doing run the 1/4 mile. I'll probably be taking my Viper to the dyno later this spring.

Before the Roe Supercharger, I measured 436 rear wheel horsepower and 480 pound/feet torque (SAE corrected). I expect around 575 rear wheel horsepower with the supercharger.

Next year I have to pass an emission test to get my license plate sticker. The VEC2 has already gotten Sean Roe's personal car to pass California standards and he is going to get his supercharger system EPA certified. Once I pass, I probabbly will put on Arrow Racing 1.7 roller rockers on as my last modification for power. Then I should dyno around 605 rear wheel horsepower.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:51 AM
Inactive User

SUN RA KAT, I'd say you make me sick, but really it's jelousy! A Viper with a puffer! Like you need MORE POWER! Have fun and don't HURT THE VIPER!!!! BTW, my freindly dealer offered to sell me a GTS at HIS REAL COST to "put the name out there"on one. If the cost wasn't still double what I paid for my house.....
Old 02-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Plutonium Member

Thumbs up

I just got back from A-Vipering I'm A-Going and with driving with much, much exuberance I got 17.3 MPG city/highway/full throttle. At 675 HP, my Viper gets the best gas mileage of any car on my driveway.

Power to the People!
Old 02-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Inactive User

There's a name for people like you....
Old 02-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Inactive User

SUN, sounds like your'e having a blast bro!! When are you going to road race that thing? Down here in Houston, a couple of clubs rent out empty parking lots and do the course with orange cones and all. Some of em even rent out some actual road courses. Of course its kinda like NHRA where your car has to pass tech and you also pay the entry fee. I imagine with over 650 horses, you better put a roll cage in that thing in order to compete. I'm happy for ya bro, keep that thing lookin and runnin clean.
By the way, does Sean Roe only do Vipers or does he handle other setups as well? Keep us informed brother and be cool as usual.

J-440
Old 02-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Plutonium Member

J-440 -

Actually, I'm NOT having a blast, I'm having a Garage Queen for the last week and probably this coming week due to sucky weather for A-Vipering I'm A-Going - snow, ice, freezing rain, rain, salt, flooding - sometimes all at the same time on Ohio's roads. I installed the VEC2 94 octane computer card so I can get maximum power from the Sunoco 94 octane gas I've been getting, but I haven't even had a chance to even start my Viper since then due to the weather.

February 11, 2002 at 6 AM is the date and hour of the start of final assembly of my Viper, so I got it a 94 octane card for the Roe VEC2 and Sean Roe also gave my Viper a birthday present of a 100 octane unleaded racing gasoline computer card for the VEC2. The 94 octane card should give me 20 more HP and the 100 octane card 30 more HP over the 94 octane card compared with the 93 octane card that I had been using. Now, if I can only afford to even buy gas when the snow melts...

Vipers having about 3 1/2" of road clearance probably won't need a roll cage for frolicking in a parking lot. Viper Days is coming up at the last weekend in April and I'll be getting professional instruction on how to drive road courses at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course. I'll have the fastest car in the beginner's group with the slowest driver. I should be able to easily hit over 150 MPH on the straightaways maybe once, but I'm going to take it real easy (slow) going through the corners. I'd need to change to racing brakes ($5,000) if I try to drive it at it's limit - but my limit will be so slow that stock brakes with a few mods will be OK.

I think Sean just does Vipers, but he told me that when he does the new Viper SRT-10 that he will also do a superchager for the Ram SRT-10, since they use the same engine. I had a VEC1 on my Viper before I got the VEC2 and the VEC1 will work with other vehicles -I'm going to have it installed on my Ram truck soon. The VEC1 adjusts timing and air/fuel - it made a real nice improvement to my Viper before the supercharger and those that have put it on their Rams ususally report similar miles of smiles.