Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Inactive User

Help Distributer Gear Reinstall Doh!

I'm putting in the MP distributer right, and in the process of removing the old one the distributer gear pops out along with the distributer! Attached at the bottem is the shaft that drives the oil pump. How in the hell do I get the rod and gear back in so that the gear teeth mesh with the gear on the cam and fit the bottem of the rod into the allen wrench looking hole at the oil pump? Anybody have this problem? Do the distributer gear and rod need to be seperated and installed rod first, then gear?
Stumped.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:41 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

I do believe that when the engine is at TDC, the slot in the gear, when fully seated, should be parrallel with the cam centerline.
In other words, at TDC, the slot should be front to back.

Use a large screwdriver if you have the wrong slot location, rotate the gear with the screwdriver, and it will back itself out.
The bottom of the hex gear will drop into the pump by itself, usually.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:56 AM
Banned

The slot points to the number one cylinder not straight front to back it should angle to number one. The rod does not come off the gear. For some reason, due to age and gunk it just stuck to the distributor gear. O, forgot to tell you to pull the number one plug and put your thumb OVER it and have someone BUMP not crank the engine till you feel the compression then check and put the balancer timming mark on zero then drop the shaft and gear in with it pointing at number one.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

I have been told that that slot will point at the number one spark plug when number one is TDC. Is this true? It would thn also line up lengthwise with the rotor on the distributer when installed. also pointing at the number one erminal on the distributer cap. Basically I just have to find the right tooth, right. And then the oil pump rod will just drop in. I've had no luck finding that sweet spot yet. Try again in the morning I guess.
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:04 AM
Banned

You are correct. I hate to say this but you might have to pull the pan and pump then put the rod in. Dont force it down or it will bust the pump.

You might get lucky and turn the oil pump with a long screw driver or such.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Inactive User

Pulling the pan sounds pretty involved! What might I find in there? Will it be a problem to register the pump in there so it fits the rod correctly. If I try instead to work it in from the top, won't it be too tight to just "drop in"
Pondering...
Old 02-09-2003, 02:43 AM
Banned

The rod slidesinto the pump without force but should be snug fitting or it will round out. They make a special hard tip shaft for high volume pumps that I use even in the stock pumps just for added security.
The problem you might have is if you turn the engine after the shaft is out. If you had just put the shaft back in and then turn the engine and aligned the shaft it would have been no problem. Now with the engine turned (shaft out) to put the shaft in correctly the oil pump did not turn and that is holding the shaft up. The pump is hard to turn with oil in it even when they are worn out. So you might have to take a long driver or such and turn the pump then try to install the shaft. If you cant get the shaft and pump to align then you will have to pull the pan and pump,put the shaft in and put it all back together from there. It is a job.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Inactive User

Unless your pump is siezed,you won't have to pull the pan to get it back in right.Keep trying,it will go back in eventually.If you need to move the pump,either use a piece of hex rod,or put in the pump drive in the "wrong" position,turn the engine and pump,and then remove the drive and re-install it in the right position.I've never had a problem getting them to go back in.If the female hex in the pump needed to be oriented in a certain position for assembly don't you think it would be in all the service manuals?
Old 02-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Banned

They pump does not have to be in any given position, but it does have to be turned so the shaft will go in it. The shaft was always installed first before the pump was bolted on to speed assembly and make it easier. And yes as e joe has found out they can be a @#$%^ to get back in an old engine.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Inactive User

Theortically, if the gear is installed in the correct position relative to TDC then the pump shaft if not lined up with the hole in the pump will only be misaligned by a fraction of a degree, would then turning the crank only a fraction of a degree cw or ccw be enough to find the spot where they line up? Or would it be too tight on the gear to drop in? I really don't want to pull the pan. I'm going out to do battle with it now. I'll update you guys later. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Inactive User

Don't turn the engine to line it up with the pump. Do it the way that has been described.

Line up the timing mark on tdc compression stroke.

drop in the gear/shaft so the slot points through the furthest forward intake bolt(by #1 cyl). That's the picture in the manual anyway.

You will be able to get it in, as long as you're patient.
Wiggle the shaft as you slide it in. Try that a few times. If it doesn't work, reach in with a log screwdriver, and turn the pump slightly(as mentioned earlier), then try again.

Just relax, and you'll get it together. Have a nice tune on the radio, some beer, or some whatever. Don't get PO'd and force it together.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Inactive User

yeah I suppose that does make sense: turn the pump not the crank. I just borrowed a long enuff slender enuff screwdriver to do it. Cold beer might help too!
Old 02-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Inactive User

yeah I suppose that does make sense: turn the pump not the crank. I just borrowed a long enuff slender enuff screwdriver to do it. Cold beer might help too!
Old 02-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Banned

See there some patience and a couple of beers gave you an echo effect. You'll get it now for sure. Daves right and so was I just be patient and walk away if it's too much. Take some sand paper and clean the tip of the shaft up a bit too. Some times they get a lot of varnish crud on them. Just dont round the corners off of it. That might help a little. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

It ain't goin in folks. I haven't given up yet but not making much progress. What am I missing. Seems to be an extremely tight fit once registered properly. How will I know its in?
Old 02-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

The hex end of the drive has a large tapper on it, oil pump end doesn't have to be close. If your having trouble, maybe something fell in the pump end hole. Or there is sludge buildup causing some resistance. Pump drives are easy to line up and install so you must have some kind of interferance that needs to be found. Get a long piece of hex rod to check the pump end.

Cecil
Old 02-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ejoedirte
It ain't goin in folks. I haven't given up yet but not making much progress. What am I missing. Seems to be an extremely tight fit once registered properly. How will I know its in?

The shaft will bottom out on top of the brass bushing when its in all the way. Like Dave and I said it takes some patience 'cause the are a pain to do this way. Did you clean any varnish off the shaft tip to the pump? It might help. You may have to pull the pan and pump in the end. Get a friend to give it a try. He might be holding his jaw right.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:20 AM

Here is my suggestion that has worked for me in the past. Get the slot lined up with the position of choice, go with the factory intake bolt index or make your own and fix the cap wiring later. It may not be down into the teath yet because it is riding on top of the oil pump socket. Put the distributor in and put the cap on with no wires. now push down on the distributor while jumping the starter relay with a screwdriver. This will turn the cam, the distributor and the hex shaft, and itll drop right in. figure out the new orientation and go from there.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Inactive User

Default Priming Shaft?

Hi ejoedirte,

I'm only familiar with the BB setup, but wouldn't getting a priming shaft be a big help in tweaking the oil pump hex into position?

I would recommend inspecting the intermediate shaft, especially the hex end. Something is preventing the hex end from engaging... It really shouldn't be this difficult. Maybe it's time for a new shaft? If it is bent, that would explain why it does not engage. Any unusual signs of wear on the shaft?

It's been my exp. to just drop the shaft in, note position, and use a large screwdriver to rotate/pull it up, skip 1 tooth, and push/rotate back down... eventually I get to the correct orientation.