Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Inactive User

Default reluctor polarity

We have a Mallory (HyFire IVa) box that will run off either points or electronic ignition style distribs. To run on the elec, it needs a "special adapter" harness. Adaptor part no. 29040. I can make one on my own. Only thing I want to amek sure is the reluctor polarity. How can you measure this and what happens if it is hooked up backwards? Just weak spark. Our 451 really needs to rid itself of the points. We have a mopar performance distrib for this project. I can hook it up as the way the diagram is drawn but just would perfer to measure it and make sure. Also since it dosen't tell which is + or - on the distributor plug.
Page 9 of 12.
http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/mallory_...51_Hyfire4.pdf

Thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

I do believe that the exposed connector on the two wire connector from the distributor is positive. If you look at the drawing that you provided it looks like that is the case as well. I connected an MSD backwards once and it ran REAL bad. If you connect an analog D.C. miliammeter to the output of the distributor, and spun the shaft with your fingers the meter should go up if you have it connected correctly. Otherwise the meter would try to go backwards.