Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

Default Electronic Ignition Installation

I am converting my 273 CID point system to a electronic ignition system. I have all the components, but have 2 questions;
1. What happens to my voltage regulator and or
2. Do I keep the same alternator.
I have read the instructions but they makes no reference to the 2 questions. Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Inactive User

I've converted a few and had no problems, or even had reason to mess with the alternator, or voltage regulator...
is there something specific that youre trying to do or fix, like converting to a dual field alt or elec voltage regulator while youre in the process?
Old 02-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Inactive User

Hi 273Dart,

I have performed 6 conversions myself, 3 Big Blocks (440), 3 small blocks (318) some had newer regulators, some had point type.

I remember that if you had the older point type regulator (69 and earlier/single field Alt) the instructions always recommended getting the contant output type regulator. These were "Not Recommended for Street Use" but I have run them successfully on the street. I'm suprised that your instructions do not list this requirement and provide the recommended part number.

Using the upgraded regulator and existing alternator is fine, however, I recently upgraded a 440 setup to a dual field alternator and regulator. I found this provided a HUGE improvement in (Voltage regulator) reliabiltiy and idle charge rate.

A terrific source of information is the mopar engine book. Not only does it provide detailed wiring diagrams for conversion, it illustrates the diff. between 69 and earlier ign upgrades as well as dual field applications. I was able to upgrade my alternator wiring based on what I found in the book. If I had to do it all over again, I would have upgraded the alternator/regulator and the ignition at the same time.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I failed to mention that the last conversion I did pre-dated the Diamler movement, so the instructions and recommendations may have changed! You may be fine just sticking with your existing charging system!
Old 02-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Inactive User

I guess what both of you guys are saying is that there is no additional wiring requirements for the original voltage regulator or a different alternator. Thanks!
Dave
Old 02-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Inactive User

Default 273dart

Do yourself a big favor and upgrade the alternator and regulator to at least the 75w version. I believe now you have a 35w version - same as my 68dart.
You need one extra wire from the second terminal on the alternator spliced into one of the wires from the regulator.
If you look under www.bigblockdart.com/electrical you will find the wiring diagram to complete.
It makes a big differnce to dim lights etc. at idle.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

345, what a great site. What alternator and voltage regulator do I buy? I can go to web you sent me and ask the question. Thanks again!
Dave
Old 02-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

Default Conversion Parts

Hey there 273Dart,

I used volt regulator P4529794 (Mopar OE Regulator)
Got the PN for the 2 pin connector from the engine book, but I don't have it in front of me. They should be able to look it up.

Went to NAPA and ordered a 1972 Dodge Charger Alt (For my 68 and 69 cars) For you, Order one for 72 Dart (They ask if its an A/C or not) The only thing you may have to do is verify pully type/diameter. (Someone has even posted about a newer units you can find on e-bay that are more reliable and bolt in.)

If you look at the diagram 345Dart listed, you really only have to add 1 new wire and modify the others slightly! It was so easy!

2 junkyard items to look out for: (Not required, but nice!)

#1. Many chryslers used a volt reg bracket that makes mounting a new style unit more flexable while making it easier to attach a "Backup" or redundant ground wire rather than relying on the attaching blots for ground.

#2. Look for a small metal "Locking Clip" that slides over the volt regulator connector. Even though new connectors fit reasonably tight, they are push on/pull off style with nothing really holding it on. This clip takes care of that!

While you are at it, take a HARD look at all the firewall/bulkhead connectors running inside your car. Spend some time and CLEAN THESE WELL! These upgrades will expose any weaknesses in your electrical system in short order. Do some searching on this message board regarding amp gauge bypass, and upgrading the electrical system. Lots of interesting ideas and opinions.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Inactive User

timty2,

Thanks for the great information. I looked at the web that 345 gave. It's really great. The diagram was very good. You answered my questions well. I have a better understanding of what I need to do. I will be getting a new Mopar Performance Engine Book on Friday. I have one that is dated 1997. I know it will be a real help. I love junk yards so looking for the bracket and clip will be fun. timty, I sure will check the wiring. All my wiring is already pulled from the car. Thanks!

Dave
Old 02-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Inactive User

Default EI

I converted to the MP EI Conversion 60,000 daily-driver miles ago. Mounted orange box on radiator yoke, behind headlights, out of road spray, on small spacers to keep out of hot, underhood air and to get good all-around circulation. Also added dedicated ground back to motor. Had already upgraded voltage regulator and alternator.

Thanks, to the above, about bracket and clip.

Also:

http://pub54.ezboard.com/fmotorcitym...cID=5915.topic
Old 02-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Inactive User

Thanks to TheTanSedan for that link to those instructions!

Of all the 6 upgrades I have run, I must have received old versions... I don't recall the timing setup instructions being that detailed!

Great stuff!