Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Inactive User

Default Stroker Overheating

Someone recently suggested to me that a stroker small block would be more likely to encounter overheating problems in a tight engine installation compared to a standard displacement small block. The engine is to be installed in a Bristol 603 (obscure British car) which has twin electric fans on a reasonably large radiator. The current 318 doesn’t overheat despite being a snug fit.

I normally think of engines overheating whilst idling in traffic, at which time I would imagine the stroker and normal displacement small block would be generating roughly the same amount of heat. I can see adding headers to any engine instead of stock iron manifolds will result in more hot metal surface area in the engine compartment heating things up, but wouldn’t this be the same for either a stroker or a standard displacement engine. Is exhaust wrap effective in reducing this problem?

What is the real life experience of those of you running stroker engines? Do these result in higher (too high) engine compartment temperature
Old 02-12-2003, 05:55 AM
Banned

You've been talking to a bunch of Chevy Guy's..Mopar strokers don't have cooling problems.

I believe the cooling mix is something like:
30% from the oil
10% from outside air
60% water

So you can increase cooling ability by adding a good oil cooler, larger capacity radiator or increasing air flow through the engine compartment.

I think you'll be fine...go for it, drive it like you stole it and send pictures.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Inactive User

Cuda's right about the chevy knobs. Take a look at the cooling passages in a small block mopar vs small block chev, and you'll see you have nothing to worry about. If it does heat up at idle, you can also overdrive the water pump a little to keep it cool.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:18 PM
Inactive User

Thanks guys, you have settled my doubts. The oil cooler sounds like a good idea in its own right irrespective of the overheating question.