Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

Help BB Edelbrock heads

Just got my new Edelbrock heads for the Daytona, mounted one to check valve to piston clearances but my pushrods rub in the head. I tried lining up so they wouldn't rub, but then the roller in the rocker tip doesn't line up with the valves. Is this a common problem with these heads? I have Crane roller rockers and Smith Brothers 3/8" pushrods. I hate to start grinding on brand new heads to make clearance for the pushrods. Any one else run into this? Thanks, AJ
Old 02-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Inactive User

My indy S/R heads where the same way. I have a set of crane 1.6 ratio rockers and I had to die grind a bunch out. only on the intake side the exhaust side was fine. I talked with a machinist here in portland and he told me it is a very common thing regardles of what brand even the chevy aluminum heads he gets he has to clearance for the pushrods. This is the kind of thing that angers me the manufacturers know what rockers are available to the public when they have these heads set up in their milling machines make them right the first time.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Inactive User

I know there are lots of these heads out there--am I the only one to have these issues? Let me hear from others-please!
Old 02-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

B or RB?

I'm going to be bolting a set onto my 471 with Harland-Sharp rockers. I suspect I'll be doing quite a bit of shimming and grinding.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Inactive User

69MOPR, Mine went on RB block worked over to 498". Let me know how yours works out.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Inactive User

bolted my RB edel heads on yesterday and i read this post days ago and paid close attention to my pushrods but mine seem to be ok. i have alum roller rockers on mine too. i have not spun the motor yet but will post after i go thru valve lash.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:01 PM

Open chamber RB EB heads with Crane Gold 1.5's here... NO issues. Very happy with the purchase!
Old 02-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Inactive User

I have the 84 CC Edelbrocks with the Crane Gold 1.5's. I would think that the 84 & 88 heads would be the same except for the size of the chambers. I called Edelbrock and they say they never heard of a problem like this-I must be the only 'lucky' person to have this. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Inactive User

Default Do you have a stock VT set?

Do you have stock valvetrain parts (Rockers/shaft/pushrods) to test fit? EB's are stock replacement and it would be interesting to see if the OEM valve-train has the same issues as your Crane aftermarket parts.

I put a set on my 440 last year. No issues here... I just bolted down the factory shaft/rockers.

Are your Rockers asymmetrical like the factory ones (Left and Right specific, cannot swap?)

Just a thought... Push rods would hit if they were reversed I think.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Inactive User

The problem may be your 1.6:1 ratio rockers. They may change the pushrod location quite a bit, an ditäs pretty common to have problems with them in other aftermarket heads too. Have you verified what the true ratio is? It may be even more than 1.6. I wouldn't be too concerned about grinding room for the pushrods; that's how these things are fixed
Old 02-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Inactive User

Post Roller Rockers

My pushrods rubbed in the cylinder head also, the shims couldnt work because I had to move the rockers towards the pedastle mounts so I bought the billet aluminum rocker shaft holddowns and ground the sides down enough to center the pushrods. After a lot of modifaction i got them to finally fit. The rockers werent too bad the new number that crane sells is the increased offset one for the Stage 5/6? heads but they say they work on stock cylinder heads and edelbrock. Good luck
Old 02-21-2003, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

AJ.....

So are you the one that just email pics of the pushrod problem to our techline???

I saw some pics today....and if those were yours, I know our experts are looking at it.

I'm more of an inatke and EFI guy, and consult in all other areas! hehe Now that I got rid of my chevy and bought a Honda, think my next ride needs to be a Mopar. My bro just bought a '02 dakota with a 5.9L in it! I can't wait to check that out next weekend! For me I think I need an old truck.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:58 AM
Inactive User

Hey Roger, I notice your sigline has changed. You're no longer looking for an E-body?
Old 02-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Inactive User

Well, myself personally I am not anymore. Kind of on hold at the moment. As a company, for the Pro-Flo calibrations, powers above my head decided to do the BB and SB calibrations in the GTX we are borrowing from an ex-employee. Considering how long its taking just to get the car in here....I wish we could have had two seperate cars, but they don't want it. Too frustrating.

Personally, I am going to keep my eyes open, but don't really have the spare funds at the moment. Since I am looking at doing a lot of work to the Honda, and probably swapping in a built motor for a high boosted turbo system, I am thinking I going to need a truck first!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

RogerH, yes I E-mailed photos to Smitty about my pushrod problem. He said engineers are working on it. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

AJ, I have a set of these heads on my small block w/ crane rollers and had no push rod problems. How ever, after riggorous trouble shooting, $ spending and putting up w/people telling me to put a chebby in it, I have learned from my post, "how to choose power valve correctly " that my problems lie possibly in the eddy heads ; sticky valve or somthing. Wont say for sure until I have it professional check it. But like I said the push rods were O.K.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:29 AM
Inactive User

I thought messing with cars was just a hobby, not a religion. I have found Rogers messages very informative and have been very happy that he has shared his information here. Hope he will do that in the future too, it doesn't matter if he tuned a Lada.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Wow...I get such harsh words. Well, it is my choice, and while I would like a muscle car Mopar, the reality living in LA, and the fact that I drive 50-60k miles a year, it CAN NOT be my daily driver.

Being were I am, I work on ALL bands of cars, well, within limits. I have respect for all of them, and the main thing for me is to take pride in ANY well built car.

I also bought the Honda, since I am designing a manifold for that car....I can have my daily driver and say that its MY manifold under the hood, as well as other parts. And yes, I most likely will be getting free or discounted parts.

I am just here to learn about Mopars, share my knowledge with Hot Rodders, and give any tech support I can. Like I said, I do this at my own free will, without any direct support from my company, and even on my own time as well. I don't have to post here, or help anyone if I don't want, but I like to help people.

If people can't respect what I personally do, well, I think you better learn some manners.

I am just really shocked to get such flamming.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:10 PM

Angry

I am fed up with this crap. RogerH has been very helpful and has provided a lot of great knowledge. If you don't like the fact that he drives a Honda then that is your opinion. Keep the un-called for remarks to yourself!

I have taken the liberty to delete the posts that were un-called for. If you don't like it, then you can take it up with the site admin!

RogerH - I would like to apologize for the poor manners/behavior of those narrow minded members.

MOD
Old 02-24-2003, 10:29 PM

Talk about "Biting the Hand that Feeds You!"

I appreciate the help, sneak peaks, etc... that you've given us Roger. Please don't let the comments of a few ruin your opinion of the masses! Any plans for a Turbo on that 4-banger?

Later,

Greg
Old 02-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Inactive User

ehostler....

No worries....obviously I probably didn't see all what was going on, but having worked in racing and the aftermarket, I can take a lot. It does bother be none, I know a lot of people here are die-hard Mopar people, and while I am a fan of them, and plan on owning my own one day....I have my own tastes. Even so, I do have respect for other people's taste.

I appriecate all the support from the people who value my input, advice, and assistance.

gsmopar...

This is the last time I will mention it on this board! hehe....yes, I plan on turbo and nitrous on the little Honda. A secondary motor with sleeves and a strong built lower end is also in the plan. While it wont be as fast as muscle cars can be...it will still put a smile on the drivers face!
Old 02-25-2003, 04:11 PM

Back before the Import craze got really popular, there was a guy in my home town (Albuquerque, New Mexico) that had a real neat little ride. He took a 4-door turd green VW rabbit and dropped some crazy turbo-4 with nitrous into it. He would put 5 or 6 bowling balls into the passenger seat floor board to help with the torque steer. He never would tell us how fast the car was, but he was "putting the hurt" on many 11 second muscle cars.

Good luck with the Honda. I like the Turbo NOS idea, but please leave the triple decker wings at Pep Boys

Later,

Greg
Old 02-25-2003, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmopar
but please leave the triple decker wings at Pep Boys
Awwww......come one! That alone adds 20 horsepower!

No....no wings on my car! If I do any bodys mods, it will only be to make it look like a Japanese Civic Type R.......NO fast and furious stuff for me! I'll puke!

I like the 32 mpg I get now putting the car on the rev limiter....and driving the test car with 7psi of boost is a blast. I hope that if everything works out, maybe in another year or so I can pick up a muscle car playtoy to take drag racing.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Inactive User

Roger - you should buy the basket before you buy the truck.