Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-22-1999, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

I would like to get opinions on the best brand of header for my application. It's a '66 Belvedere, moderate 383, 4-speed. I'm considering all brands such as Doug Thorley, Hooker, Headman, TTI, CPPA, Dynomax, Casler, whatever! Which has the best quality, fit, finish, clearance for plug wires, etc. I will go with either 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" tubing.
Old 12-22-1999, 10:48 PM
Inactive User

We used the 1 7/8 Hooker on our 70 Road Runner and they worked great.
Old 12-22-1999, 10:50 PM
Inactive User

Whatever you do, stay away from the Mopar Performance headers. I dunno about the ones for the new trucks, because I thing Borla makes those, but the older Mopar applications are made by a company called JR Headers in Georgia. These have got to be the worst fitting, warping, rusting, leaking headers I have ever bought. The fit is horrible, and no amount of dinging can make up for poor design. I bought a set for my 4WD, 84 Ramcharger, and the passenger side tubes get crushed by the axle at full suspension travel. I can't understand with as much room as is there, why they are made to hang so low. When I called Mopar Performance, they had me call JR. They said they would stand behind their product 100%, but blamed me because I took my truck off pavement. The only thing he would do, was send me some extra tubing to repair mine. If I could have bent the tubing, I would have just made my own headers, rather than buy theirs! I'm also on my second set on my 72 Charger SE, 360 Magnum. The only reason I got a second set was because my friend had them for sale cheap, because they wouldn't fit his Dart like they were supposed to. Take it from me, the other brands may be more expensive, but they are probably worth it. I'm looking at spending $1200 to $2000 to have a set of custom headers made now, so they don't drag. (My Charger rides with about 3 1/2" to 4" between the K member and the road.) I'm curious to see if anyone has tried the new CPPA small block headers. How good are they?
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-23-1999, 12:40 AM

We run Headman Hussler headers on a '70 360 Duster drag car. The 1-7/8" tubes snake around everything you can imagine and require some thought in installation, but you can get at virtually everything when they are installed including the starter.

We had two problems when installing the headers, both were our fault. The first was that the big tubes were not made for kickout style oil pans. We shimmed the flange out with another flange, but this reduced the room between the idler arm and the pan. Second, the idler arm had a funny curve to it that hit 2 of the inside-the-frame tubes. We fixed this with an idler arm off of a '70 Dodge 1/2 ton 2wd pickup. The K-member had been switched from the factory supplied slant 6 K-member.

Aside from the two self inflicted installation problems, these headers have performed very well and appear to be a good quality product.
Old 12-23-1999, 03:50 AM
Inactive User

I had a bad experience with a set of Hooker Super Comps. Killer sound and performance on my 340 Sixpak, plus they don't go under the center link. But after only 8 months the coating started to rust and then peeled off like aluminum foil. They had originally guaranteed them against rust for life, but then didn't want to stand behind it. Eventually they agreed to recoat them but I had to pay shipping $80, not to mention having to take them off. I didn't mind forking out $426 bucks for them but I expected them to last more than a few months. My husband bought a set for his 440 at the same time, so far so good with his, maybe I just got a bad coating on them. I drive my car alot so we'll see how long this set lasts.