Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Default '92 2WD Dakota w/ Twin Turboed v6....

Heys guys and gals,

Just curious if anyone had any input on my most recent (and number one on the crazy things to do list) plan to Twin Turbo charge my v6 3.9L dakota. Its in full stock trim right now so I'm guessing it weights somewhere close to 4 grand, 3.55 suregrip rear, a500 trans and a very healthy engine. Anyone have any sort of information on what size/model turbos I should look for for this vehicle? Should I use two of the same turbos or two different sized? Please, looking for advice. I've got the capability to fabricate whatever need be, just need to know what you guys think about the turbos themselves.

-Fox Deacon
Old 02-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Inactive User

how many pounds of boost are you goingto run? Are you going to swap the pistons to lower the compression? + you need to add fuel so you don't go lean during boost or you'll blow piston's that way and are you going to intercool it?
Old 02-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

I am guestimating an average of 7-9 #s of boost. Here is the idea. I'm going to get some whicked 92 magnum heads. Port/polish and hog the hell out of the combustion chamber. Then, when installing on the old 3.9 block, going to double stack the head gasket (I know I know, Mickey Mouse Inst-a-fix) I'm going to find some nice 318 Turbo/Super pistons and pop those babies in. I wasn't going to bore the block over any so it should be relatively easy. The truck is TPI. Do I need to worry about running out of fuel under boost? Will my computer pick up on the neccessity for more fuel and give me some. Of course I would upgrade to a heavier injector (26# ?) But I didn't think I would need another fuel source or line. Any feedback is greatly appreciated....

-Deacon
Old 02-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Inactive User

92: Don't want to sound too negative here, but I think you should get some books on Turbocharging (MacInnis, Bell). There are a lot of things you will need to address. Yes, you will have fuel delivery issues. You will have detonation issues. You will have timing issues. I doubt that stacked head gaskets will last long at all, especially with any detonation. Don't waste a lot of money on killer heads with high flow, turbos don't need them unless you are going for a big boost, high rpm engine. Put your money into monitoring equipment and guages, good fuel enrichment, and good wastegates. Ask Dewme5 here on the board what can happen--he split a 360 block in half.