Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-18-2003, 04:42 PM
Inactive User

Default Edlebrock RPM Air Gap Question

I recenctly rebuilt and installed a 360 v-8 for my 1973 Duster. I installed an Edlebrock RPM Air Gap intake manifold. There is no hot gas or hot water transfer ports for heating the plenum area. I understand that the cooler intake makes for a more dense air/fuel mixture....duh. This summer my car ran great, no complaints. Now that it is winter, my car runs like crap. Fortunately I live in Florida where the winter is short. The cold weather drivability was a concern before I purchased this manifold. Does anyone make a carburetor spacer I could route hot water through or some means of heating the air/fuel mixture during the cold months??
Old 02-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Inactive User

Yes there is. I don't know who. Try Mopar Muscle magazine. That is the only mag I get so must be in there. Didn't the old Fords have that originally from the factory? Maybe in the mid '60's as I remember.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Inactive User

What carb you got? Maybe 1 jet size larger for winter driving? Just a wild guess there. Ask cuda66273 about that. Maybe make an air cleaner that picks up more under hood warmer air for winter use.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Inactive User

I remember replacing a carb spacer on a mid 70's ford LTD that had a coolant hose running to it and from it. I replaced it because it had rotted out and was spraying antifreeze into the motor.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Inactive User

If you have a manual choke try choking it a little while you drive and see what differance it makes. If you have a Carter or Edelbrock carb the rod will have to be smaller, say .003 smaller to richen it up.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Inactive User

I would think that once it warmed up, it would run ok? if not, I would lean toward directing some heat into the aircleaner. I don't like having to tune car all over again with change of season. if you are running stock manifolds and aircleaner, easy. even if you are running headers, they make a bracket that goes onto one tube and you can run a factory style carb heater hose to it. if you are running an aftermarket airbox, you could fab something up.

Quote:
...route hot water through or some means of heating the air/fuel mixture during the cold months??
wasn't it 80 degrees at the daytona 500 this weekend? I am sitting here under 2 feet of fresh snow, I would kill for cold months like that lol!! good luck, man. If you have the same luck as me, you will get it running perfect just in time for summer and have to undo everything!!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 07:01 PM

My buddy runs a single plane M1 intake on his 318 here in minnesota. It does run like crap when it's cold but once she warms up the motor runs great. I think I'd go up a jet side too. I think that you might be right on the verge of being lean during the summer and with the cooler weather you go lean. I'd try what amxauto suggested.

Alot of fords used that carb heater. I'd go to the salvage yard and look for a '70's ford car or truck and get one.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:04 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Hey Doobiemon
Just curious what intake gasket did you use?
Did it have the heat crossover blocked?
I agree with the other guys, a cold aluminum intake will run sorry, well compared to the new fuel injected trucks and cars, but should heat up and run great after 5-10 minutes.

#1213 Felpro has the cross overs blocked!
The Air gap is only doing what it was designed to do. With that intake I would run the heat cross overs.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:01 PM
Banned

Doobiemon...
Your running a performance set-up, your going to compromise drivabilty as the air quality and or temp changes.

You need to tune that thing constantly, if your running an Eddy carb that can be a bit of a hassel compared to a 4 corner sytem.

Put a 4 hole spacer under the carb that will help it atomize the fuel better at low RPM's.

You may also want to try a hotter plug for the colder operating temp and maybe boost the thermostat to about a 190-195 to get more heat in the motor.

Let us know.

Don