Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

Confused / 6 idle woes

I just finished doing a full service to the /6 powered 76 Volare that I inherited from my wife's granny.

When I got the car it wouldnt idle well at all. It was rough and down on power. Thanks to the kind members of this bb, I learned about the need to set the valve lash and set out to do a full tune up.

I changed plugs, wires, rotor, cap, pcv valve, vaccume lines, air filter, set the valves and timed the motor. I also checked for vaccume leaks and placed a vaccume gauge on the motor to check for burned valves etc. The motor checked out fine and the service made a big difference in how well the car runs...BUT>>>

It is doing something really weird with the idle. With the air cleaner lid off it idles fine. However when you put the lid back on the idle drops and becomes rough. I tried to adjust this out using the idle stop and mixture screws on the carb but it made almost no difference. The car seems as if it is just not getting enough air in the mixture with the lid on the cleaner, because with the lid off it seems almost perfect. So I am guessing it is a carb issue or perhaps the egr valve. The carb is a reubuilt one that seems in ok shape but is 10 years old.

Any suggestions? I plan on replacing the egr valve first and then looking into a new carb or even a super six setup.

Thanks for the advice
Charles
Old 02-21-2003, 12:05 AM

what kind of condition is the air filter in? is the choke comming all the way off? a open EGR valve will definately cause a stumble at idle. I think I'd put a new filter in, check for vacuum to the EGR at idle. If there is vacuum there just pull the hose and plug it. I'd start there.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Inactive User

New air filter and vaccume lines all around.
EGR valve seems rusty and is a good place to start.
I think I will try it. Overall, the car runs well and does not seem to idle so badly once warmed up.

Setting the valve lash made a very big difference.

Thanks
Charles