Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Inactive User

Question more header ??????

does anybody know if the hooker super comps for small block b and e body, part # 5115 go over the steering linkage or under?? if they go under,i'll buy the tti's if over i'll get the hookers. the tti's are 640$$$ with ceramic coating and thermal barrier.that's their fancy way of saying"coated inside and out". i can get the hookers coated in and out for 100$$ less. but the tti's come with collectors, gaskets,and bolts, the hookers don't. any reccomendations based on experiance is welcome. thanks alot
Old 02-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

I just removed a set of 1-3/4 Hooker Super Comps and replaced them with a set of TTI stepped headers in my 71 SB Cuda. I picked up atleast 1" in clearance which is worth the money to me. Anybody want some slightly dented Super Comps?
Old 02-21-2003, 05:30 PM
Inactive User

is that really the big gain tti offers? clearance?

i dont know
Old 02-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I own and used the Hooker super comp headers. The 1 3/4 tubed units. They fit great! No problems unless you have a scatter sheild instead of a bellhousing for your manual trans.
The collectors are cheap cheap cheap.
Besides, you can choose the size collector.

The header go's over the steering linkage. I dropped it in without removing it if I remember correctly. You'll need to remove the oil filter on the otherside. You can also use the big oil filter if you want.
I recomend these headers first and foremost for instalation and top end performance. I have NOT had the pleasure of tti headers.

I had my headers blasted clear of the black paint and used POR-15 header paint with my compresor and gun. This re"wet" until cured when I ran the engine. It can be oven baked to cure before you install the headers. But where to find an oven that size?
Old 02-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Inactive User

Question rumblefish

thanks for the info, how do the plug wires fit on #5 & 7 cylinders? i know on my cheepo roadrashed hedmans i have to loop the wires over the #3 exhaust tube. do they fit strait in from the top on the supercomps? thanks rumblefish.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Inactive User

Moparmotorman

My experience with the Hookers was fine. No problem with the plugs, easy to replace and the plug wire have plenty of clearance from the tubes. I'm just looking for more ground clearance and the TTI's definitely have more. I didn't measure the difference so it might be more than an inch. In the name of science I'll measure up the TTI's and then put the Hooker's back on and measure them. Both headers are easy to install as long as you have the car lifted way up. Might take a week or 2 but I'll report back.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Inactive User

rumblefish.. do you have the PN for the headers you got? I didnt think hooker had small block 1 3/4" headers
Old 02-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Inactive User

When I bought my Super Comps 1-3/4 was the only option, I would have rather had a smaller tube.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

Default hooker part ##

the supercomp part # is 5115 for small block B & E body super comp prt # 5116 is small block 67-76 A body curiously while looking on the hooker website, i noticed that the B & E body part # also is listed for the C bodies.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Locke
When I bought my Super Comps 1-3/4 was the only option, I would have rather had a smaller tube.

Hmm.. see, thats a topic i need to open for discussion soon, for my application. Ive been out of the V8 game for years, but back when I had starting putting together my 340 (picking cam, port work, etc), the guy who i was working with said i needed 1-3/4 tubes to make some serious power. He does know his stuff. But I had my set of 1-5/8" from the last engine. So ever since then i've been wondering what size i really should use. Especially after that thread about you guys making serious power out of small tubes and small collectors. I just dont have enough knowledge and experiance on header sizes to pick.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

Obviously you have to take a tremendous number of factors into account when you build an engine. In my simple understanding of engines and power bands a smaller header diameter is preferred for low end torque and drivability. Larger tubes are for high RPM torque. My car will be driven on the street 99.9% of the time so optimizing every ounce of power out of the engine with a high lift cam, loads of head modification, etc. is not part of the plan. Depending on what you want out of your engine 1-3/4" may be the way to go. I'm sure if you post your engine plans on this board others with alot more experience then me can help you out.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

Just a FYI post on primary tube size, but bear in mind circle burners are after a power band flatter than a pool table. I run a 451 with homemade fenderwell style 1-3/4 x 40 x 3-1/2 x 12, 750 Holley, 11 to 1 CR. It will pull from 3000 to 6200 like a turbine but starts to nose over after that, not extremely so, but noticeable. Have turned 7000 by the tattletale when track conditions let me drive into the corners further than usual. (really tacky) Have read that running the tube straight from the head for as far as is practical does wonders and since I made these myself and have more room than streeters they all go straight out 3" before any turns are encountered. Food for thought.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

Default i went with the tti's

i wound up goin with the tti's, my wife proved understanding when i showed her what restored cuda's are selling for these days even in a so called recession. i bought the 340 models ceramic coated ,thermal barrier, and polished. $$ cha-ching!! i figured they probably fit a little better, and my cuda aint ridin high, so the extra ground clearance helps. i'm curious to see what kind of ET and MPH improvement i'll see in the 1/4. with the cheepo road rashed[flattened] heddmans i was goin101 mph. it's gotta go up a little 1 or 2 mph. when i get that result, then i'll install an x-pipe and see what that does. i will post info for interested partys.