Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Chrome Plated.... paint job???

Every so often I get these really obtrusive, insane ideas on my mind and can't shake them without getting a definate answer on the possibility or just someone elses opinion. With that, proceed with caution...

The basic premise of my new thought it this. If body panels are made of steel. And steel can be chromed. Why oh why (Other than the astronomical cost) has no one ever attempted to chrome an entire car (or atleast its removable body panels). I want to do it. I don't care if I have to push my car around because I blew all of the money for the engine/trans at the chrome shop. I have already had a couple of things done at Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN and absolutely LOVE the quality. Their process is amazing and I have yet to find another company like them. Just for kicks. What do you guys think? Gross or Grand? I'm sorry if this doesn't appeal to all of you guys who look at an engine all decked in chrome and get giggly, but since I was like 12, my favourite colour has and probably always will be chrome. Should this become a reality, can chrome be clear coated? What about a really heavy transparent powder coat? Or just no coating at all. Just some thoughts... anyone else have some insane things on their minds like that, in the way of paint jobs/body details. Please share.....

-Deacon
Old 02-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Inactive User

It has been done . Long time ago. And yes I hate it. Like you said to each their own, but you asked. Try looking on Yahoo and type in chrome plated car. Maybe it will give you something. Think I'll try it too!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

Why don't you buy a Delorean and polish it? It would be far cheaper than having a car dipped IMHO.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

That's a good idea!
Old 02-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Inactive User

Default How about polished aluminum?

The SAI and Kirkham Cobra bodies are aluminum and you can get them polished with stripes polished in with a different compound.

I, however, prefer paint.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Inactive User

I say do it! not my cup of tea, but I would love to see it when it's done. you would definately get you car in a mag or two if you do it.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:32 PM
Inactive User

I would hate to drive behind you on a sunny day! I have enough problems with glare from window & taillight trim blinding me, the whole car would put your eyes out.

But if it floats your boat, hey it's your ride, do what you want. Dodge - different!
Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Inactive User

Holy crap a chrome car!! What'll that sucker weigh about 6000 lbs? It'll take you 6 hours just to polish the thing before you go to a car show. I've never seen it done before, but if you got money to burn, hell go for it.

J-440
Old 02-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Inactive User

While it is a unique concept, you would have to cover it on the trailer between shows as the police would never let you blind people going down the street with it.......
Old 02-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Inactive User

It would look like a full size ":Hot Wheels"
Old 02-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Inactive User

yeah theres a reason why its not a popular idea, think of the delorean, All Stainless steel.. It was a great idea, as the bodies could take a serious salting and not corrode. but if you ever got a dent in it, the repair costs would make you go broke, as no one would/could/can repair stainless steel, and have it look like it did from the factory.

I would hate to see a chrome car in the parking lot of my local grocer, since those shopping cart dings would easily cost a thousand bucks a pop to get fixed.

Sure, it would look cool for the first 30mins that you owned it, but the maintenance would be killer

sbuc72
Old 02-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Inactive User

This car would DEFINATELY not see a trip to the local grocers. If anything, and I know you guys hate this, a trailor queen. I just think its such a stellar idea and would easily take some, if not a lot, of shows. Just some concept. Anyway, has anyone ever had any radical paint job or body work ideas that they just let "slip away" ??

-Deacon
Old 02-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Inactive User

heres an interesting idea..

"FantaChrome"
http://www.alsacorp.com/Fantachrome.html

Super reflective Automotive Paint. Looks like chrome, but makes alot more sense if yer going for that super high shine/reflective look...

sbuc72
Old 02-22-2003, 01:50 PM

Before you even consider the cost of the chroming, you should consider the cost of getting the sheetmetal straighter than straight and perfectly aligned. If you don't do that, the chrome job will look like a crumpled can of beer.

Body work alone, to prep the body panels, will run over $3,000. And that's starting with what already appears to be good sheetmetal.

If it floats your boat, go for it. Just remember, you would be one of the few people that actually likes it. That being the case, it may not score as well as you would hope.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin ifitdon'trunchromeit

I guess this is what a GM chatroom is like