Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-25-2003, 07:00 AM
Inactive User

Default Flowmasters vs Borla exhaust

Need some opinions here. I'm putting my 71 Challenger back together soon and have been contemplating what exhaust to use. I will be running a 360/380 hp crate motor with Hooker SuperComp Headers. I really like the sound of the Flowmasters, My son has them on his 70 Dart 340 and they sound awesome. I'm wanting to be heard so the sound level is not an issue. Someone recently suggested the Borla exhaust to me but I dont think I've ever heard one. How about some opinions?
Old 02-25-2003, 08:06 PM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

I hope you get many answers, I am curious what will be your response. I have the same question!

I ran Flowmasters on my 440 Demon, and REALLY liked the sound. They were 3 chamber Flowmasters.

I run two 3" three chamber Flowmasters on my motorhome, but in a weird way.
As I wanted the Flowmaster "tone", and not excessive noise in my Coupe, I tried an experiment on my 360 motorhome. I ran the headers into 2 1/2" collectors, then got a two 2 1/2" into one 3" "Y" fitting, which feeds two 3" three chamber Flowmasters, IN TANDEM.

It's so quiet it almost seems stock at lower engine speeds, but when opened up it sounds like a typical "Flowmaster" muscle car sound.

I'm dabbling with the idea of running four Flowmasters on my coupe, two in tandem on each side.

I've never heard a decent V8 car with Borlas before, strange as that sounds!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:50 AM
Inactive User

I sure can't claim to be any kind of exhaust expert ... no way I am. But what I can tell you is that when I was looking for a new system for my '68 Road Runner I went with 2 1/2" front to back with Walker DynoMax Super Turbos. Everything I had read indicated that they flowed better than just about any other other muffler (Flowmasters included).

The sound quality is great! Deep, mellow, not overly loud, and everywhere I go people ask what king of mufflers I am running. I would venture to guess that Walker has sold a few pairs simply because others have heard them on my car.

Great Sound, High Flow, I do not know what more you could want.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-26-2003, 09:55 AM
islcuda

Smile hmm desicions

I have flwo master 40 series on my barracuda 340 and I like then a lot, . It sets off car alarms in parking lots and at wot it is really loud, and deep. My buddy has borls system on his 72 challenger 340 and it is hmmm lent me think, a lot like my demon with glass packs, except at idle it also has the nice rumble, but on wot it is more rappy sound. To me both sound excellent, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chrome bumpers or not.jpg (44.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Inactive User

I am in the same boat, I need some mufflers for a 1968 barracuda 440, and i would like to go with a crimp bent 3" system. I dont know of any places around here that does mandrell bending.
About the Mufflers, I dont like a really low tone, i like the sound of a 318, with 2 chamber flowmasters. What should i do. Once i get hte mufflers on there is no going back for me.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Inactive User

No body here has used Borla???

Ok, a couple [few] years ago there was a report in Mopar Muscle , I think. In the truck section about a test between the Borla and Mopar exhaust system, a chrome one from the Dodge dealers.. As I remember the Borla one was a higher pitch sound and the Mopar system was a deeper sound, a true muscle car sound. I wasn't all that impressed with their discription of the Borla sound. Not throaty enough.

Maybe I can find the report this weekend.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Inactive User

Mandrel bent exhaust systems are typically custom made by fitting and welding U and J bends together. You can buy the bends and cut and fit them together yourself to build a killer system.