Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:43 AM

Default exhaust dyno testing

I don't think I ever posted this, but a while back I had my '73 dodge on the dyno and decided to do some exhaust comparisons. With a stock 400 with headers and MSD I did back to back dyno runs. The two tests I did was one with true dual exhaust with Dynomax super turbo's and one running just open headers. I didn't print out the results so I don't have the exact numbers, but I only gained 4hp from running full exhaust to open headers.

The only problems I had with the tests were some tire spin on the rollers. This happened during both the test, and the truck was putting out in the 170hp range at the wheels.

The test with just the open headers was so loud that I had to cover my ears because they started hurting. And I wonder why dad gets mad at me for driving around the block with open headers
Old 02-28-2003, 05:02 AM
Inactive User

We did a similar test here years ago, using some different mufflers in an engine dyno, and also measuring the noice levels. They were compared to a muffler replaced by a straight pipe, but otherwise the same "full exhaust". The differencies in a 400 hp engine were pretty small. The best mufflers (powerwise) produced the same average numbers as the straight pipe, and even the worst was within 10 hp average and 12 hp peak.