Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Wheels & Tires Forum...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-29-2000, 03:11 AM
Inactive User

I was wondering if it is possible to fit 35" tires on my 99 ram 1500 4x4. I am gettin 15x8 rims and am hoping to fit 35s and the minimum 33s. can i fit 35s w/ out getting a lift. I tested the flex and it looks like if i get a rim w/ 4" of bs or less they wont rub any suggestions. email WWC83@aol.com
Old 03-03-2000, 02:29 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Howdy Truck Boy,

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but the 35's ain't gonna happen without a lift At least it didn't work on my 97 1500. In looking for my tires and wheels, I found a tire guy who was willing to work with me a bit, so we tried a few different sets. One of the other combo's I tried was a 15x8 w/ 3.75 BS and 33x12.50's. Also a no-go with out a lift. Even went so far as to try some 305/70-16's and a set of 16x8's w/ 4.5 BS. SORRY again.

So in went a 3" lift. 33x12.50-15's no problem, 35's only a very slight rub. But this was with a 3" lift.

I have a feeling if your 99 is anything like my 97, the largest tire you're going to be able to run is a maximum of 33" tall and no more than 11" wide on a wheel with 4.5" or so of backspace. We never tried the smaller 15's like a 32x11.50-15, so you may have some luck there.

DC may have given the 99's more room up front, if not, start thinking about a lift if you gotta have those 35's.

Best of luck to ya.

Dan

------------------
1997 CC 4x4 360 Auto
1970 440/6V Cuda
1970 340 Dart
Old 03-06-2000, 09:27 PM
Addicted Moparchat Member

i've got a 99 ram 1500, and from what i hear the 98 and up are a tiny bit taller than pre 98. i'm running a 305/70 (33x12.50) on my stock rims. they do great, barely rub on the control arms at full flex and full turn. with a .5 inch less of backspacing, there would be no rubbing. i've seen 35's on stock rams, and they do okay on the road but the smallest amount of flex combined with a turn sends them into the fender. i have a friend with a 97, and he runs a 285/75 bfg all terrain on stock rims with no problems that i know of. 3" lifts for our trucks are fairly inexpensive, you can get a nice one installed and everything for roughly 1,000 dollars and fit 35x12.50 no problem. if you don't go with a lift, fender trimming is another option. get just enough backspacing on your rims so they don't rub the control arms, and then trim the fender/inner fender as much as needed. interference usually occurs on the plastic front bumper or the inner plastic fender liner. metal trimming on the back or top usually isn't needed. if interference occurs at the top, longer bumpstops are cheap and will fix that. personally i'm getting ready to go with a 5" lift and 36x14.50. whatever you do, stay away from body lifts. the cost of the parts is very attractive, but they are hell to put on. extensive cutting, welding, relocating, etc. is required usually sending the labor rates of a shop skyward. and unless you are very mechanically inclined, a shop should do it. hope this helps...
Old 03-10-2000, 02:29 AM
Inactive User

thanks rufus,
I went ahead and just got 33x12.5r15 bfg at.
The look great. I think I could fit 35s if I did some mojor fender trimming, but it was too much hassle. I got them on today and when at full turn, they rub a little bit. They rub on the back of the wheel well towards the cab where there is that litte part that comes outa bit. Im going to try to either knock it in the other way ar shave it down a little. The only thing is that I think there i a metal piece behind it, even If I cant it istnt bad enough rub to worry about. I think with some creativity and pacience 35s could fit with a little work. One other thing, in a matter of about 10 miles after getting them on, my brakes started squeaking, is that normal? Well thanks. Be in touch.
Old 03-10-2000, 04:31 AM
Inactive User

Truck boy,
I stand corrected. Rufus is correct on the 98 and up Rams being a bit taller. Sorry if I steered you wrong at all. Just today I saw a "newer-than-mine" Ram sporting 35's. I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the 33's.
Just watch out for the ultra thick gumbo. I ran the AT's for a while just like Ruf's friend and when the going got real thick, my tires turned into glazed donuts. It was fun anyway.

Rufus,
You always seem to be a wealth of information for all of us. SO.....just out or curiosity, what is it that makes the 98 and up Rams sit a bit taller. Do they have heavier springs than the 97's? If so, do you hapen to know the spring rate? And as for the backspacing issue. I know that backspacing that's radically less than stock can be hard on your bearings. But where is that threshold? I've seen quite a few trucks running the 15x8's with 3 3/4" or 3 5/8" backsides. With the stock wheel around 5"+, are these measurements still safe? Or should we be looking more at the 4.5" to 5" range?

Remember....When in doubt....GAS IT!!!

Dan

------------------
1997 CC 4x4 360 Auto
1970 440/6V Cuda
1970 340 Dart
Old 03-11-2000, 12:32 AM

your brakes may not be squeaking, it may actually be the brake caliper rubbing your rims. i've heard rumors that you can't use anything smaller than a 16" rim on 98 and up rams because there is something a little different about the front caliper. i've heard this a few places, as well as people who say it's BS. anyone know for sure??? Dan- as far as what makes the 98 and up rams taller i really have no idea... my guess would be a slightly taller spring or one with a higher spring rate. i'm really not familiar with the specific numbers on the rates though. backspacing can be a tricky issue. i'm trying to decide myself what to run on my truck when i get it lifted march 20th. for half tons, moderate backspacing i'd say an inch to an inch and a half less at the most should be just fine. the axles that come on our trucks are pretty strong half ton axles, and don't yield to stress real easy. in addition, dodges run fairly large backspacing to begin with compared to other trucks, so a little more than the "norm" for less backspacing can be used. just keep in mind the less backspacing you have the more likely it will be that you will encounter outer fender interference when you turn since the wheel is stuck out further it uses a larger radius to turn within the fender. hope this helps... this is a subject i've just started to learn about, and it can be a tricky one. there's no real set "standard" for it since there are SO many possible theorys and combinations fo wheels/tires/suspension etc.
Old 03-11-2000, 12:38 AM

by the way... where in NC are you from truck boy?? i'm in raleigh...
Old 03-11-2000, 05:53 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Rufus, I'm from Charlotte.
ANY IDEA on how to fix the squeaking?
Any ideas on how to fix the rubbing? Well good luck with your next additions. All I'm going to say is that a 5" lift is incredible. Can you not fit bigger than 36s w/ a 5" lift, or do you not want bigger.

Dan, don't worry abouat it , thanks for your advice any way. Also any ideas about the rubbing?

Both: Possible solution to rubbing, 1" body lift, or is it too much of a pain to put it in?

One other thing, do ya'll know where to get a skid plate for the gas tank, I recently realized the bottom was bare plastic...not a good thing. Also a front tow hooks all that necessary.

Thanks keep in touch,
truck boy
Old 03-11-2000, 08:31 AM

truck boy... i'll be down your way on the 20th... i'm having my lift done at tarheel 4WD down there. with 5", 38's would maybe fit but i'm going to stay on the safe side and go with the 36's. plus there is a big price jump from 16.5x9.75 rims to 16.5x12 that i'd need for 38's, as well as a price increase from the 36's to 38's. where exactly is your rubbing occuring? on the metal or plastic inner fender? if it's the metal, i'd take something with some shape to it such as the head of a sledgehammer wrapped in a cloth to protect the paint and then beat that with a hammer to bend the metal back just a little bit. with the round surface, you can use that to sort of shape the fender so you don't put a flat spot in it. if it's the plastic, either take that whole thing out, trim, or sand it. the only purpose it really serves is to keep some of the dirt and muck out from under the truck. for the mostpart, newer rams are not good for body lifts. there is a lot of cutting and relocating/lengthening that takes place so i've been told. if you only go with an inch though, that shouldn't be too bad. i wouldn't go any higher than that though. as far as a skidplate, i think the new off road rams have one so you could buy that from mopar or you could have a welder make one. and tow hooks, well that just depends on how much you get stuck or in the case of most rams how many people you're going to be pulling out! the only solution i know of for the squeaking is to go with a 16" or 16.5" rim. just put your factory wheels back on and if the squeaking stops then it's probably the rims touching the caliper. before that though, just take of one front wheel and look at the caliper and the inside of the rim to see of there are any visible scrape marks. hope this helps... keep us posted.
Old 03-12-2000, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

rufus
thanks for wtiting back. Questions, what isa caliper, what does it look like, where is it, what does it do? know any of those?
Also if it is the rim rubbing it, besides wqueaking, what does it do? Could I leave it the way it is if I can stand the squeaking?
Thanks
truck boy
Old 03-12-2000, 06:21 AM

the caliper is what houses the piston that pushes the brake pads on your brake rotor (the big silver disc) to stop the truck. it'll be sort of oval shaped and fitted over your brake disc (rotor). i guess it would be okay to leave it, it may cause some funny handling though due to the drag. also, it could damage your rim enough to put it out of balance and cause vibration. personally, i wouldn't leave it. i guess you could sand/grind down the top of the caliper or wherever it's contacting the rim SLIGHTLY, just don't go overboard. it may not even be your rim rubbing though, check to make sure that is it first. some of the newer rams do suffer from abnormal brake wear, there is a TSB on that i think so it could just be your pads are worn. from what you've described so far, it sounds like it's probably the rim though. especially since it started right after you put them on. how many miles are on the truck?
Old 03-19-2000, 12:27 AM
Inactive User

Hi guys i was reading this thread and their is one thing i dont agree with. body lifts i feel they are easier to install than susp lifts i have both in my 95 Ram 1500. for the body lift i used a sky jacker kit it came complete with brackets to raise the front bumper,brackets to lower the fan shroud. the only thing i had to fab was the rear bumper which was no big deal. i also had to extend the shifter linkage which a extension was included. a extension for the steering shaft was also include. the only thing i didnt mess with was the transfer case lever. the shorter lever didnt really bother me. i guess the main thing is if youre going to put a body lift in a vehicle get a good kit,sky jacker,rancho etc. they are worth the money. for a susp lift i also have a 3 in sky jacker system. nice complete kit. i put both kits in my truck in one night it was all pretty straight forward. if you have any questions feel free to ask ill help ya to the best of my ability,Rob

------------------
74 pro street cuda 446cu 600 hp 95 Ram sport 6 in lift 35/14.50 super swamper thornbirds
Old 03-20-2000, 01:32 AM

you put a suspension lift AND a body lift on in one night??? wow... i know a couple 4WD shops that would love to have you...
Old 03-20-2000, 10:29 AM
Inactive User

Cool

well rufus i never said it was a short night. i started at about 5pm and got done at about 5or 6 am or so man it was a long night but well worth it, have a good one,Rob

------------------
74 pro street cuda 446cu 600 hp 95 Ram sport 6 in lift 35/14.50 super swamper thornbirds
Old 03-20-2000, 06:57 PM

ohhhh... so when you said a night, you meant a FULL night. i thought you meant you started say around 5 or 6 and were done later that night like 12 or something....
Old 03-20-2000, 11:47 PM
Inactive User

Cool

ohhh no Rufus it was a full night. im not that fast hell i wish id be a millionarie. when i start something im not happy till its complete you know what i mean?Rob

------------------
Old 03-21-2000, 06:33 AM

i know exactly what you mean... when i get something new, it's just like a kid with a new toy. i have to get it on right away or else that's all i can think about till it's done...
Old 03-21-2000, 08:22 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

finanly some one out their like me, hell im in the process of tubbing my cuda right now and its like cristmas every day when the ups truck shows up. with the packages from jegs or scummitt,latter,Rob

------------------