Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-15-1999, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

was at a mopar car show in spencer n.c. last summer. saw a duster in the show that had the shifter way back next to the seat. owner knew nothing about it, as it was like that when he got the car. best i could tell it was a e body trans. i'm getting ready to convert my 68 to a 4 speed (so much more fun to play around in) as i have every thing for the change, and i'm going to have to cut the floor any way, and being almost 6ft.3" getting the shifter closer to me is a good idea. has any one done this change, do you have to do anything to the car to use the e body shift rods. any info. greatly needed as project is about to get off the ground.
Old 12-16-1999, 09:36 AM
Inactive User

Yes we did this in a 72 charger,the only mod was cutting the floor pan for shifter/rod clearance,his was a e-body trans that had both shifter mounting bosses,worked so well I ended up buying his car(unfortunately due to divorce)from him.Personally though I would rather Bang gears in a B-body with the longer shifter.....PRO...
Old 12-21-1999, 01:10 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

the only thing that putting an E-Body transmission in an A-Body would do is move your shifter about 3 1/2" backwards. If you have a bench seat, this will not work. you will also have to make your own 4-speed hump.
Use an A-Body A833 or a '76 A-Body Overdive. you can get the hump and the linkage from shumacher creative services.

[This message has been edited by goldduster (edited December 20, 1999).]
Old 12-23-1999, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

thanks goldduster, but looking at the trans out of the e body, it has two mounting places for the shifter, in front like an a body, or early b body. looks like, an i didn't measure it, it might be a little futher back, but the second mounting spot looks like at least 12"back. i have a A body 4speed an a E body trans, the duster i looked at with the seat all the way back the shifter was just behind the front corner of the seat. saw your post about small block an 12 mpg, me an my wife have done it, with out to much trouble. she has a 70 T/A i with a 68 Barracuda with a 70 340. heck if i don't see any stangs or cameros i pull down 10 to 13 mpg out of my 440 69 ChargerR/T it has hemi cam, 800 spread bore d/pumper holly,offy dualport (DAMN STRANGE INTAKE)hooker super comp 1"3/4od headers 10"alabama converter 323gears crane 1.6 roller tip rockers around town. talk to later, gilbo out
Old 12-23-1999, 03:27 PM
Inactive User

thanks goldduster, but looking at the trans out of the e body, it has two mounting places for the shifter, in front like an a body, or early b body. looks like, an i didn't measure it, it might be a little futher back, but the second mounting spot looks like at least 12"back. i have a A body 4speed an a E body trans, the duster i looked at with the seat all the way back the shifter was just behind the front corner of the seat. saw your post about small block an 12 mpg, me an my wife have done it, with out to much trouble. she has a 70 T/A i with a 68 Barracuda with a 70 340. heck if i don't see any stangs or cameros i pull down 10 to 13 mpg out of my 440 69 ChargerR/T it has hemi cam, 800 spread bore d/pumper holly,offy dualport (DAMN STRANGE INTAKE)hooker super comp 1"3/4od headers 10"alabama converter 323gears crane 1.6 roller tip rockers around town. talk to later, gilbo out