Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Wheels & Tires Forum...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-27-2000, 06:57 AM

Exclamation

Here it is guys, I got a 94 Dodge Intrepid ES with some mods and more coming. It drags(pretty good) and auto crosses so. But I need some tires cause the ones on don't stick or anything. I lose way too much time at the line and in corners. I am looking for something that sticks and lasts, price too. So here you go, these are the choices and stats and place your vote with comments please. All stats and prices from www.tirerack.com too.

BF Goodrich Comp T/A VR4
340 A A $93 V-rated (149 mph)

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical
340 AA A $82 W-rated (168 mph)

Michelin Pilot XGT H4
400 A A $91 H-rated (130 mph)

Firehawk SH30
460 A A $85 H-rated (130 mph)

Proud owner of a 1970 Dodge Charger 500 and 1994 Dodge Intrepid ES
Old 03-27-2000, 09:15 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

i'd stay away from the firehawks. i had a set on my previous car and they didn't last much more than 10,000 miles. if you're not concerned with wear though, they were a pretty grippy tire in the turns, but slipped a little off the line especialy when they were cold. they responded a lot like a slick actually. you had to get them a little hot to make them hang. i've heard the BFG's are really nice, especially for heavier cars. have you looked into nittos? that's what i went to after the firehawks. i really loved them. they made a lot of fuss on the turns due to the almost double treadwear rating they carried over the firehawks, but held great. good off the line traction as well. they were especially good in wet weather due to their v tread pattern. when i sold the car, they had about 13,000 miles of pretty hard driving on them and still had a little over half of the tread. their price was an attraction to me as well. close to half the price of a comparable BFG comp. they were v rated, which if i recall correctly is 149 or 159 m.p.h.
Old 03-29-2000, 02:36 PM

Cool

Firestone just came out with Firehawk SS20. I got some and they are simply put..FANTASTIC! As far as wear goes, time will tell, but they do have a deeper tread than most performance tires I've seen. Besides that, they look realy cool too!
Old 03-30-2000, 01:49 AM
Inactive User

I am running BFG Comp TA ZR4's on the Challenger, mainly because of the very specific sizes I needed. They are very good, but I would have gotten Z rated Pilots, if they had my sizes, as they stick better. I agree with with Rufus, mostly, about the Nittos. They hold pretty well (not quite as well as the ZR4's), look very cool, but squack and squeal on the corners so bad you would swear you were going sideways. I have found that most of the good handling tires are not near as good in a straight line. Of your list, I would do the Dunlops first and the BFGs second choice.