Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

Confused Hydraulic Clutch Conversion?

I want to use a hydraulic clutch set up on my 70 Dart, rather than hunt down or buy new($$$) linkage pieces. I know Keisler is making that conversion kit, but I don't want to spend $475 to do it that way.

Has anyone changed their car over to a hydraulic clutch setup?
I need to know what mopar vehicles I can look at to find the right pieces. I don't mind having to do some fabrication for brackets, etc. How about brand X vehicles? (I'd hate to put that stuff on my car, but if it works....)

It's still a little too cold to go crawling around the junkyards here in PA, so any advance help would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:37 AM

I did the whole piecing together deal but couldn't get a stock slave cylinder to have enough throw to fully release the clutch. And if you are using a Borg-Beck style clutch the pedal pressure was so high you could hardly push the pedal down. I used a master cylinder and a slave cylinder out of a '89 dodge dakota. To make this work properly you'd have to change the clutch fork set up to get the right leverage.

I stuck with the stock master cylinder and got a McLeod industries hydraulic throw-out bearing. It still had a very high pedal pressure but was better than the other set up. So finally I got a Diaphram style Center Force clutch. And what a difference that made. It's night and day.

If I had to do it over again I'd just get the whole kit. It would have been alot easier and cheaper.