Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Inactive User

Question Brake swap

I have a 66 Fury, but with the motor upgrades I am in search of more stopping power. Are there any bolt in swaps that I can make to gain the use of a disc brake front end. Currently 4 wheel drums. Not good. Thinking of using a disc front, drum back, with an adapted power steering pump assisted minivan power brake setup. Also would like to ditch the gear box in favor of a rack and pinion. I can do the fab work, but if anyone knows of a car this big that was equipped with a rack, I'd like to know of it. Any help with either of these situations would be much appreciated. Thank you. Chad Marlow.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

There are a few companies that offer different brake packages for most applications. For lower cost, basic packages try mpbrakes.com You can also try Stainless Steel Brake Company for a step up, and Wilwood for the really serious stuff. Try a googel search on those last two. I looked at the sites awhile back and they list pretty much everything they've got. In case you didn't know it's all about how many pistons are in the brakes. The lower cost units are single piston, while the heavy duty units are four. Hope that helps.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

Default On the Cheap

I have a 66 Coronet and I was looking into the same thing and this is what I found out. For 66-72 B and 66-72 E bodies the suspensions are pretty much the same. Meaning that for the most part with minimal modification you can retrofit factory style disc brakes on to your ride. The one piece that will be hard to get is the spindle(steering knuckle). The breakdown is that if you replace the spindle on your car with a spindle of a 66-72 E body with disc brakes you can use stock calipers and rotors from your local auto parts store. Of course you'll have to replace the master cylinder as well. It is also suggested that you use calipers from 70-72 as they are single piston and less problematic as well as cheaper than the 66-69 dual piston caliper. If you have a sway bar that runs through the k member and you run into interference problems, swap the spindles so that the caliper mounts in front of the axle. I haven't priced this out yet but its got to be cheaper the the 700-1000 bucks that most people are charging for the conversion kit.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:03 AM
Inactive User

The tech archive at www.moparaction.com has the best brake swap article written for Mopars. Read that first.