Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

Default Will crank warp?

Hooray, have the engine fully disassembled, things look alright in there. Had some fun pulling the thing out, had to drop tranny, exhaust, took 12 hours, flexplate to torque conv. alone took almost an hour.
I also knocked a core plug into the block that got pinned in the water jacket, that was fun, Anyways...

I have everything on the bench at work, I am planning to have everything machined during spring break, (around March 22) and I was wondering if leaving the crank sitting of the bench will warp it. I read that if its left for long periods of time, it will, but 3 weeks? If I can't leave it sitting there, could someone tell me how to store it?

Also, I cannot see any complications with block hugger headers. The engine compartment in my truck has been customized a lot, and theres a bit of room, so if the headers stay out the way of the starter (obviously they miss the steering linkage), I should be fine right?

I remember cuda saying something about a ?bowl hog? the machine shop performs. Anybody know anything more on this.

I guess thats enough for know, thanks.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

Most shops will store a crank standing on the flexplate flange. Put it someplace where it won't get knocked over, like next to the work bench, back by the wall. Then tie it to the bench.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:27 PM
Inactive User

Ok, so your saying standing verticle, and tied to the wall only so it doesnt fall over?
Old 03-06-2003, 09:35 PM
Inactive User

Yes, that's it.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by amxauto-x
Most shops will store a crank standing on the flexplate flange. Put it someplace where it won't get knocked over, like next to the work bench, back by the wall. Then tie it to the bench.
I never lay a crank down, yes stand it on it's end standing vertical with the flywheel/flexplate end down AND secure it so it does not get knocked over. You can also hang it from a rack, just keep it vertical
Old 03-06-2003, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

cry2 you can break them too!

I always bungee cord my cranks to the leg of my workbench. Forgot to bungee a friends 350 crank one day and knocked it over. my garage floor has some dense concrete in it I guess, cuz that puppy broke in half when it crashed to the ground.
luckilly,I had one from a junk 350 (arent they all?) to replace it. Learned my lesson there!
5th
Old 03-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Question Crank Question

Never lay a crank on it's side. Stand it on it's end or hang it buy it's end so it doesn't have any side forces. It is ment to be rotated in a circle and not sideways.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:01 AM
Inactive User

And just exactly what is going to happen if the crank lays on it side? The sun turns red and we get 40 days of rain?

A crankshaft is a serious chunk of metal. If it got bent just laying on the bench do you think it would last a second in an engine under power?
Old 03-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
And just exactly what is going to happen if the crank lays on it side? The sun turns red and we get 40 days of rain?
yup!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:59 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I dont think that warping is a concern. If they would warp just by laying around, it wouldnt say much for the cranks duribility. Even cast iron cranks will break or fractior before they bend any. Cast iron is very hard which makes it brittle too. The steel is much strong than the cast iron. In the garage working on Cummins big truck engines, I have seem camshafts warp, it layed on the dash in the middle of the summer for a few monthes. When they went to install it, it would not go in. So its not impossiable. Stand it up on its end, make sure it wont fall over too.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Inactive User

I've heard of them warping, but have never seen it myself.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Inactive User

AndyF,
Hey if that works I'll lay one of mine down, it's real dry around here! Seriously though, if you have ever been in a crank grinders place of business and see all those cranks hanging upside down by the rear flanges you wouldn't worry about warpage. I put a couple of bolts through the flexplate and use it for a base when the crank is standing up. (harder to tip it over) Put it on backwards so the bolt heads are in the recess and it will sit flat on the floor.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Inactive User

Default Crankshaft Warp

Yes a crank can warp. Yes, cast cranks are harder. Steel cranks are used in heavy duty because they do bend without breaking. The reason they don't warp in the engine is because they are reinforced with the mains.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

Prove to me that a crank will warp by just laying on its side. Go ahead, hit me with the calculations. I'm an engineer, I can understand the math. Show me how that the unsupported weight of the crank can distort cast iron 2 inches thick.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation Okay!!!

You got me, I can't prove it to you in words. But I do beleive the machinest that have told me they can warp and have to be straightened. Auther Thrasher ( a local machinest, when I was young ) told me what I have always took for fact. He raced a 55 Chevy with 301 ci and shifted at 12,000 rpm. The thing screamed. I beleive people that show me something, and he did. He is not the only engine machinest that has told me. I beleive he ran D or E Gas class.
But I will say this, yes a crank is 2" thick in places but not in others. But there is a lot of weight that if not properly supported the weight is pushing in the wrong places and the crank, (not supported by the crank journals in the block. The block allows the crank to support the huge forces put on it under load. Without the support, the crank would break quick.

:blast:
Old 03-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

Maybe the best way would be to go to a crankgrinding shop and they can demonstrate/show an example.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Inactive User

I placed a steel 413 crank on a boat motor box, laying on it's side, for about six months. The center of the box was weaker than the ends, so the crank was not supported well in the middle. I had always heard the "old wife's tale" about how cranks left on their side would bend, as well. I placed the crank into a block with only #1 & #5 bearings in place and checked the center main with a dial indicator. The runout was a TOTAL of .0005". That's five ten thousandths or 1/2 of one thousandth of an inch! Since then, I don't worry about laying a crank on it's side.
Ken B.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:28 AM
Inactive User

I have always stored my cranks on their side. I think that the machine shops having them sit on their ends is somewhat a question of room. But store your crank the way you want, it shouldn't do any harm having it stand on it's end. If it still is long enough for the block after the storage
Old 03-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Inactive User

DartGT66, I think you're correct on the room, and they hang them so they can still sweep the floor. Never thought about the "shrinkage" from storing vertically. Since the last rod journal would be supporting the weight of the crank and is not centered it might lean over for an "Italian" look. Just a thought with a "continental" flavor.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:40 AM
Inactive User

Laugh one more thought

When I learned of bent cranks, almost everyone was running chevy chit. Even the chevy guys will admit that Mopar bottom ends are stronger than chevy's. Of course, they say it is too much weight and handicaps us.