Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Wheels & Tires Forum...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-27-2000, 03:48 AM
Inactive User

Ok - I know I posted this one in the RAM truck chat room, but I'm throwing this one out here anyway. . .
Here are the speed ratings for tires you can currently buy:

S = up to 112 mph
T = up to 118
H = up to 130
V = up to 149
Z = OVER to 149

I understand why they would make Z tires for RAM owners, but wouldn't it be a waste for the rest of the non MOPAR general public to buy these (LOL)

Seriously - besides people that go to the track, is there that big of demand from the public for speed rated tires at speeds that high ???? I mean, if you don't regularly drive that fast, isn't the extra money you spent on a "letter" on the side of your tire a bit much ??? Or maybe I'm just getting older . . .

not using white walls and curb feelers yet, but . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."
Mid Michigan MOPAR Enthusiasts
Old 04-27-2000, 04:47 AM

Wink

While the speed rating does indicate maximum speed capability of a tire, the other performance aspects also change too. The speed rating is more accurately described as a "performance" rating. Braking ability, handling/cornering prowess , etc... all change as the "speed" rating changes. Generally speaking, the higher the performance rating, the better the car will handle, stop, and maintain stability, even at low speeds. In most cases a higher speed rated tire is a safer tire (except when talking snow traction- most higher perfomance tires are NOT all-season/M & S rated). In some situations, stopping can be more important than accelerating!!!! John RT/SE

------------------

1970 Challenger RT/SE, 383 Magnum, 4spd Pistol Grip, Plum Crazy

[This message has been edited by John RTSE (edited April 26, 2000).]
Old 07-07-2000, 04:36 AM
Inactive User

I have to put my $.02 in here. I know that speed ratings are usaually looked at and then people usually see the vehicle they are on and laugh (coming from the minitruck show scene) one of the main reasons a lot of the guys I know get the Z rated tire is because they can handlke the abuse of a lowered vehicle, the constant pounding etc. The other reason is to plus size (Go up in wheel size and down in tired dimension) you can't just go in and name your speed rating. In order to get some of the low profile we need on our show trucks we have no choice but to buy Z rated etc. A lot of the times it is not a matter of choice. I also stand behind all the reasons that John has listed