Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Hey Don, what say you about....

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...11&prmenbr=361

This is pretty funny looking but I was wondering what your thoughts were. Maybe this thing is in order for a test purchase by FBO? I'd like to see this puppy run.

-Deacon
Old 03-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

Those things have been around for ever.... how many do you see on cars? At the race track? Does that tell ya anything? I believe they do work well on the pulling trucks though, I hear alot of people using them for that for whatever reason I dont know.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

What a trip, I was gonna' ask about a replacement carb and intake for my friends' 440 boat motor that has a Predator on top of a tunnel ram. The boat runs pretty good but cold start ups are a pain and the fuel milage sucks. It's a jet and they don't get very good milage anyway. The motor is pretty stock I think. Iron heads, single point dist., and it doesn't lope much at idle. Which Demon and intake do you suggest Don?
Old 03-12-2003, 11:10 PM

I first started seeing the Predator carbs in 1986. I know that the original design was by Holley. Holley scraped the idea, because there were better ways to go.

I think that your money would be better spent on a properly tuned Demon.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

We tested one at the school and compared it to a Holley. It made less power and had a higher BSFC. They (Predator company) wanted you to switch cams (in the carburetor) and jump through hoops whenever you changed engine sizes. I'd say forget it.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:29 AM
Inactive User

Oh lordy, I wasn't about to buy one. I'm a Demon child, through and through... but was just curious about the design and if anyone had some real number on this thing against a holley/edelbrock/demon. Is it possible to believe that this thing, when properly tuned would function the same or better than any of these? I was also interested in the design of them? They really are square like that? Are the internals basically the same as the other competators? Just some thoughts.

-Deacon
Old 03-13-2003, 01:41 AM
Inactive User

I say that it looks like a damn toaster. Gives new meaning to "popping a new carb on there." I don't even thnk that would fit on most cars. But I guess that someone has to produce crap just so we know what good stuff is.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:18 AM
performance engines

Default predator

these carbs are used a lot on dirt track cars, mostly see them on modifieds, they work good with alky, but the earlier versions had no idle circuit, so not very streetable, the ones with an idle circuit worked just ok, better on big block motors, but I think they tend to be too work intensive for small blocks on gas.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Banned

I liked the movie.....The carb is a piece of camel crap.

Holley is great at marketing names like...Avenger, Predator, StreetMaster, Dominator....yadda yadda Yadda

Don't be fooled by the Marketers a name doesn't have anything to do with performance.