Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

Default poor idle

67 cuda with leaning tower of power. car hadent ran for 5 years. previous owner had carb rebuilt last year trying to get it going. I found the fuel pump bad. new pump and she fired right up. ran ruff but it ran. then the big chill hit ohio. now that things have thawed out I got out and adjusted the valves ( all adjustments way off ) now she sounds great with the peddel down a littel but the idel is strange. its loppy like its got a hi pref cam but It does'nt.
nabor said it is normal for a slant but I dont think he has ever herd one run eather. no tack but idel speed sounds good. it has elictronic distributer with orange box. tried carb adjustment no help. i dont have a timing light but i marked it and tried turning it both directions no better. a friend said the distributer could be a tooth off. any sugestiions?
Old 04-04-2003, 01:54 AM

Mines kinda got a loppey idle too. I just did a tune up on it (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and ecu). And it definately smoothed out the acceleration but it still idles kinda loppey. So I'm gonna say it's normal.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

I got sick of it running bad so I tore it down and gess what I found. mopar 276/490 purple shaft . I was so shocked i allmost had a hart attack. The lope was a cam but the valve seets where in bad shape. i tooke them to wark and did a three angle valve job on them. Do to lose of part time jobe I dont have the $63 for the engine gasket set to put it back together. I think when i get it done it will be one hot machine.