Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-13-2003, 01:21 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

rolleyes Better Handling Big Block Duster?

I am looking for cheap cost effective ways to make my car handle better. It never has been a real road hugger, now that it has a big block well, its not that good. It does have the 318 T-Bars which I plan to keep for drag racing purposes. I want to get a tighter feel around the curves around here. It has manual steering, manual front disc brakes. Would the Poly front sway bar bushings help? How about a wider Tire? I have a set of 275/60/15 which probably wont fit under my stock front end Duster will it? It has 15x8 inch western Bullits wheels on it now. I know some hard bushings like the poly's will put alot more stress on things, that should be a issue also. Any advice will be nice.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Inactive User

Do you have the stock anti-sway bar for the 318? If so then you would need the bigger bar that would be for the big block. The poly bushings would be ok, but not really necessary unless you want to. Then a matched rear anti-sway bar also. will help a whole lot.

The tires won't help a big deal without the heavier duty anti-sway bars.

Of couse you've probably heard that drag racers like to take off any anti-sway bars when racing, but for the street I'd leave them on.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:36 PM

Thanks Again Tom!
I wonder what cars would have similar swap bars. that would fit my car and be a little heavier? I know its important to have the make/ size sway bars. I had a buddy who bought 2 sway bars both being the same size but actually was diff stiffness i guess you could say, was a different metal. He tried to save some $$ but actually cost him more $$ to get it right.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Inactive User

I think the only heavier sway bars in a-bodies were the police specials (yes, they did make a body cop cars) other than that why not go with an aftermarket stiffer bar? Another thought, how about an aluminum water pump and housing and whatever other weight reduction exercises you can think of (I have had both fiberglass and steel duster fenders, and there ain't much difference in weight that I can see, but a glass hood would be worth a bit). Move the battery to the trunk (that sure helped hook up my 360 Duster), aluminum rad etc. After you get the body roll under control, bigger tires will be a big bonus.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Inactive User

I got some ADDCO bars back in '74 or so. They helped my land yaht Sebring so much that I never looked into bigger bars. That car never came with bars. The Front one had the links of hime joints [spherical rod ends] and links, no rubber type links. Worked great. But then it had a 318, then I put in the 273 after scewing up the 318.

Isn't there a better company advertizing in Mopar Muscle mag. ?
Old 03-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Inactive User

maybe im not reading you right, but you are trying to go right and left at the same time....

i understand keeping the 318 torsion bars for straight line purposes...(same for my 440 a-body)

but you want to handle better....

the sway bar bushings wont help noticibly and having a sway bar is BAD for the straight line performance....
id say just get the .87 383 torsion bars...
from what ive heard they still allow good weight transfer, and should help keep her a little less weeble wobbly

i have to admit with 318 bars and a 440in mine i have no complaints about the handling for a daily driver anyway
Old 03-13-2003, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

I'm guessing that it plows and leans too far when he turns the corners on the street and he wants to eliminate most of the leaning, ect.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:36 PM

Well I have not really had any real street time in it yet. I am working out all the details before I add insurance on it. The car was aligned last summer when it was driven alot. After pull the engine I drop insurance on it, I did not know how long it would be. Some times my stuff gets side tracked alot longer than I hoped. It does have new front end parts also. I raised the front end up through the T-Bars 3 turns on each side. That put the ride height back to were it was. Now It seems to haveway to much over steer. It wants to Dart in the direction I turn the wheel. Not Good for sure. I guess a another trip to the Alignment shop in the next few weeks will be in order. I guess I could lower the front end like it was, which the oversteer was not that bad before the T-bar adjustment, but the ride height is right now. Just wondering if any of you Big Block guys run into this with the swap from a A engine to a B engine. Oh yea I plan on moving the battery and lighter water pumps housing and eventually some Aluminum heads.