Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Need used blower for 360. . . .

My wife reminds me that I don't "need" one, I just "want" one!

Here is what I have. I bought a 360 out of California and mounted it in a 83 Ford mustang. The motor is suppose to have 9:1 flat tops, 296 556 lift cam, cast iron truck heads with the 2.02's, hi rise with 2 750 Holley's. It is over carbed, but still runs strong for 5,000 elevation. This is a tight budget car that is just super fun to play around with. . .out side of the city limits. I would like to find a low cost durable blower, either one or two carbs, since I already have the carbs. What blowers are good and which ones will fit this motor? I would prefer the roots style. Any setup suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Inactive User

9:1 flat tops running dual carbs and a blower is mildly problematic. go single carb and a 6-71. You could get away with those flat tops. your lobe lift seems alright. Open up your heads up a little bit. maybe pull open your combustion chambers and get that compression down a little bit. I think weind makes a blower for us moparites. Also, there is a reputable blower company that I know makes blowers for us. I can't think of the name off the top of my head but I should. Its a three letter acronym. Best of luck. There are some other threads around here on that particular blower. But again, you are going to have to watch what sort of boost you run, how high you go with that compression, and that sort of fuel system. Again, best of luck. Hope I helped and didn't lead you astray. There are some guys and girls here alot more knowledgable than me.

-Deacon
Old 03-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Inactive User

BDS blowers?
Old 03-13-2003, 08:51 PM
Inactive User

YEA! woo. its relieving. I've been trying to think about that since I posted last but I also don't have the initiative to go searching through previous posts. Thanks autoamx.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Default mustang

why a mustang? please god, why the ugliest of all cars? that motor belongs in a 69 Swinger.
that car belongs at pick your part

centrifugal blowers are the most efficient and offer the best underhood clearance (something you probably don't have much of!). A centrifugal blower such as a paxton can also be used with your existing carburetors and intake manifold, whereas a roots style needs it's own intake manifold.

personally i think your wasting your time, fords have a hard enough problem putting the 'power' from a 302 to the ground.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Inactive User

eh...dare to be different eh? that ford should be pretty quick with MoPower!

hood clearance problems? nah, gimme a sawz-all and a couple of hours....

i'd go with a BDS stage 1 671 blower. heres the site:
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/blower_comp_kit.html

good luck!
Old 03-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

These ain't cheap.
http://blowerdriveservice.com/
Thats the way he got the car. Thats what he has to play with. Whats the diff its a MoPar powered stang or a Mopar powered Dart. It's MoPar powered and he has the power part right.
As far as taste in body, to each his own. There like women, so many yummy styles, shapes and colors and....well you get the idea.

moparmustang;

The cam in the engine looks like the MoPar grind. Not a good choice for a blower. The narrow centerline will bleed off pressure. A wider centerline cam would be better. 112 or wider. MoPar has a 284 Adv. cam with this C-line. You can look into those later.
The heads are not so much truck as they are just heads used on every small block V-8. Weather truck or car or boat, the heads remain the same.
The heads go by the casting letter or number . Number under the valve cover, letter on the outside near the spark plug hole. There are cast in, not stamped and easy to see.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

Thanx for the info. . .keep it coming. . .its all good. The main reason I stuck it in a 83 mustang is that the mustang was free! I also like how the mustang handles and it is light. Plus it is a hoot to have Mopar power and the Mopar sound in a mustang. I have had many a car buffs chase me down wondering how I got that 302 to run like that! I will even pop the hood and let them gander at the '302'. . .its blue just like ford and that is all they notice.

The only money I have to spend on this is for a decent used blower and just bolt it on. There are many blowers on ebay for chevy. . .will any of these fit mopar with a base manifold?? What problems do blowers have. . .like bad bearings. . .does bad bearings mean bad pump rotors (or what ever they are called). How much is a used blower worth? This car will not see 500 miles a year. . .but, most of those are with both back tires smok'in.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Inactive User

Ok. I'm all for the "Mopar powered mustang". That is cool. The part of deception and what not and just outright smacking ford in the face by putting a mopar powerplant under the hood. But dressing it up in that UGLY ford blue and letting people believe its a ford. That is downright wrong! Produce some testosterone, get a can of Chrysler Orange paint and get to work. You know what you must do.....

-Deacon
Old 03-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Inactive User

92whitedak,

You have Mopar blood running through your veins and would die before you would take a Chevy or Ford transfusion. For me, I like certain things about them all. I love the 67,68,69 Cameros, but I also respect the Ford mustang. I love Mopar power, hands down, but don't have the same feelings for the body styles. . .except the obvious late 60's early 70's Cuda. The blue paint on the heads and block was already on it when I bought it. .. I don't think Mopar's are alway orange??? But it is fun to play with the Ford guys minds that think it is a 302, because it sounds awesome, really ratty. Anyway. . .another question. . .when you put on a blower, is there some type of adapter that would run the water pump off of the big belt??
Old 03-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Inactive User

I like the ford dark blue and hate the Mopar orange. Then what about the chevy yellow? The white engines? Mopar blueish would be good. Paint it the color you like. You have to see it all the time.

By all means tell them it is a MOPAR MOTOR !

What about a 360 in one of those mid '80s Chargers?
Old 03-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Ya ya ya, take out that jap 4 banger and slam dunk a small block MoPar in there! Help redem the Charger name plate the draged the dung pile. (Those bastards)

The blower is kind of like, gerneric in a sense because it is the intake thats custom.
Things that can go wrong with a blower are worn bearings/gears and the rotors have very very tight clearances built into them. To much clearance, bad blower. I have heard repair prices up to 1/2 the orgnal price. But I dont know first hand.
Water pumps are driven via regular V belt from what I understand.
You should have asked this in the power adders section.