Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-14-2003, 11:52 AM
Inactive User

Gripe Mini starter warning

I have the worst frickin luck... We have all probably heard of some of the mini starters problems with header clearance, but check this out...I have had a ministarter in my 383 Roadrunner for many years. I built a 440 did the engine swap went to put the mini starter back in and lo and behold it won't fit. After the denial wore off, I took a closer look as to my problem and this is what I found. If you notice the block, there is a thick "C" shaped flange where the starter goes, on my 383 block this "C" shape is machined to about 1/8 inch or so from the block wall. My 440 looks like it is "as cast" as evidence by the seam and the fact that it is about a 1/2 inch thick. So I am guessing I have the ONLY 440 block out of the bazzilion made in this condition. So now I have my preferred starter on the shelf and the stock piece (which by the way was so tight I had to use the mounting bolt and nut to draw it flush) in the car. My point to this post is, whilst your block is out of the car you may want to check this area and if it is "as cast" you may want to have that machined when the rest of the work is being done so you won't be screwin the pooch when you go to install your Mini starter.....I would be interested in if anybody else has had this problem, if only to know I'm not the only one!!........Frank R.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Inactive User

Frank
Thanks for the story. I am a small block guy, but will be acquiring a Duster in a few days that I will be putting one of them RB things into. I will be sure to check that area for starter fit after I go down to the river to get my 440.

Billy
Old 03-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Inactive User

My circle burner 451 ('75 Block) nearly fought me to a standstill with the clearance problem. The boss around the rear freeze plug protrudes further than the earlier ones and since I used the latest, lightest, etc. etc. mini that is shorter, the lug area for the cable lines up dead square with the aforementioned boss. Step 1, grind the boss and trim the insulation around the lug where the two were coming together then a trial fit. Then repeat step 1, again and again and again. Get the picture? Took nearly 2 hrs to put a " bolt on " part on the engine. Guess we're just lucky!