Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Inactive User

Default What is the output of the Chry electronic Dist.

What is the output of the Chrysler Electronic Distributor?

I have a 1970 Barracuda convertible with a 340. The goal is to keep the engine compartment looking as stock as possible.

I installed a Holley Projection 4Di 700 and am using the origional air cleaner assembly. Since I routed the wire harness along the origional path as the stock engine wire harness and wraped the wiring in black electrical tape (like the origional style), and hid the extra components (fuel relays and Holley ignition) under the battery tray, the engine compartment looks surprisingly stock.

I have also installed the Chrysler electronic distributor with vacuume advance.

What I really want to do is to use the distributor as just a trigger and then use the Holley ECU to do the timeing.

I know I need to lock (weld) the flyweights of the mechanical advance and I will block the vacuume line so that the advance will not change the timing (I still want the vacuume pot and the hose so as to keep the stock appearance as much as possible).

The question is finally what is the output of the distributor?

Is it a 10 Volt square wave or something else?

How then can I get the Holley system to "talk" to the distributor to sent the spark at the programmed time?

Has anyone out there done this before and How?
Old 03-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Inactive User

Oh and by "output" I mean the output of the two little wires that come out of the distributor body.

And thank you in advance for your help!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 01:47 PM

The Holley ECU cannot adjust the advance of the MOPAR distributor.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

you might have to get an aftermarket crank trigger. you could try a DUI (davis unified ignition) they make a dist for the sb mopar that is basically a hipo gm hei setup. maybe your projection could work with that since it is designed for a gm dist. since your dist is behind the air cleaner, not too visible either. problem is that I have heard nothing but bad things about the dui for mopars on this board.

IMHO, leave the distrib the way it is and adjust timing the conventional way. you would probably not benefit too much from it since your holley system is not really high performance anyway.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:37 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Are you taliking about using a Holley Annihilator with Timing retard, or a MSD 6AL box with timing retard? If so why would you keep you distributpr from making any advances? There main purpose is to be used with things like NOS, trucks with heavy loads that need timing Retards at certain points. You could weld up everything like some stricktly race cars. they do this for Timing Accuracy more than anything. I am not sure you can program those things for a timing curve that you would need. There more like a system with no feed back or closed loop systems. In other words a mechanical advance changes depending on the need for more or less timing through centrifugal force. No change at a steady giving speed. Maybe you or someone could shine some more light on this, I would be happy to read some input.

Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Inactive User

here is another sit that shows you how to convert a gm hei to fit your sb mopar

http://www.geocities.com/kac383/HEItomopar.html

this guy will do it for you for $100.00
Old 03-15-2003, 09:01 PM

He is refering to the Holley ECU that comes with (and controls) the TBI. It has the ability to adjust timing on distributors that have that capability (like the MSD Pro Billet).
Old 03-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Inactive User

The waveform of the distributor output looks like a distorted sine wave. I don't recall what the peak voltage is but it is pretty low, like under 2V. It swings from this voltage to the same negative voltage each time the reluctor tooth passes the pickup.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

DUI is a horrble thing. I had a general for years, had to swap that POS out every two year because it would burn out.

The stock replacement system is pretty decent, and you can put the module inside the firewall to hide it. It doesn't have to be in the engine compartment. The ballast resistor is different, so if you really want to go trick, put that in the passenger compartment too, and leave the old one "mock" wired.

Don't forget to mock up all the emission control vacum lines too.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Inactive User

Is the "DUI" the same thing as the conversion from a GM dist to work in the SM Mopar.

I was indeed leaning toward going with the converted GM dist as the Holley wire harness has the HEI plug.

Has anyone had any fexperience with the GM conversion dist?