Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Rebuild!

Okay guys, I've been getting a lot (and I mean a lot) of blow-by from my exhaust. It's enough to turn the immediate area around the exhaust pipe black, and you can see where the larger drops of oil have been thrown even further back. I figure if I'm gonna open her up to replace the valves/seals/maybe rings I'm gonna go all out. Mill the head, do an overbore, etc. Now the question is, where do I stop? I've got a 225 in a '66 Dart 270. I really, really, really want to put 3 2bbl side-draught carbs on, so I figured I'd need to "harden" the motor against making such a drastic change. New cam, etc. I want to stay around 9.5:1 so that I'm not forced to run avgas, plus it's more a street performance car than a strip car. I'm looking for a minimum of 200hp with possibly more always being better! Any help on what overbore, milling depth, cam, combo, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Inactive User

Go to slantsix.org and do a search on cams, milling, intakes or whatever you can think of. This will show you different ways to acheive what you want. Go thru the old posts, as many as you can. The more research, the better your final selection.
There are a few modified slants in Central Fla. Any of these guys are willing to help out another slant six enthusisast with information. Mopar Muscle magazine just did a 3 issue build up of an aluminum slant. Slantsix.org and slantsix.com are good starting places for your research.

Cecil
Old 03-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

The last 3 issues of Mopar Muscle are the place to start. They ended up with over 225HP(not a bit shabby). With a light-weight car, the "leaning-tower-of-power" is a neat engine. You may change your mind on the three deuces. They look neat-o but they're exspensive and hard to keep syncronised, and really won't give more HP than the "long-runner" intake and a 4bbl. You can still get the parts for the "Hyper-Pack" which turned the 225 from grocery-getter to go-getter.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

I checked out MM after Cecil said something, but unless I'm illiterate, or just can't read, I didn't see anything but a history of the slant. Iron vs aluminum, that sort of thing. What Chrysler did in the preproduction stage, etc.

As far as the triple Weber 2bbls go, if someone were to tell me to do something a particular way because it's easy, or cheap, I wouldn't just because they told me to. (That attitude's gotten me in a lot of trouble....that's why I'm in a 5-year degree program instead of being out already) Hard to setup, sync, that's fine. That's the kind of stuff that I like. Give me a challenge, and I'm there. Anyways, it's not a daily driver, so I'm not worried about drivability or gas mileage or anything like that. It's the shock value when I open the hood I'm going for
Old 03-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Inactive User

The Mopar Muscle article is a THREE part series. The first part was history. This is a follow up to a two part series published in Hot Rod back in 1999.
The three/two Webber set up does look impressive. Clifford still sells the manifold, $290. It's the three carbs that run the cost up, $350 each. Plus linkage and air cleaners. There are a few out there and they do run strong. There is also electronic injector bodies available that replace the Webbers, there is one set up on a slant six drag car.
The Clifford repo Hyper-Pak intake also has a visual impact, $300. With a 500 cfm Carter or Eldebrock carb (#1404, $210), it's a good street set up and will run almost as strong as the Webbers.
9.5 to 1 compression is easy to acheive with stock cast pistons with only milling. Even 11 to 1 can be reached with .100 and .100 off the block and head.
There are several slant sixs around that are turboed. Some draw thru carb, some blow thru but many want and have gone to EFI with a blow thru set up.

Cecil