Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-19-2003, 01:00 AM
Inactive User

Default diplomat tune up

was wondering if there is any way to get better gas mileage out of my diplomat SOON. Some friends and I are driving down to Daytona Beach from my house in BUFFALO, NY. Right now im getting 10 miles to a gallon and i know ive heard of people getting a lot better. i really dont have time to do many things to the car but w/ the price of gas i need to do as much as possible. How weak are the original timing chains in the diplomat? Its an 88, with 82,xxx miles. I know the timing sets were single roller chains, are they prone to stretching? I have a double roller already but i need to put it in, havent gotten around to it. I heard someone mentioning the cam was retarded 4 degrees from the factory? anyone know how valid that is and what affect that has on economy? I think ive given up on trying to even make this car fast. Right now a friend and I inherited his uncles 1970 dart. Was a /6 car, now has a 340. Get back to ya later on the specs but now any help for fixing up the old dippy would be appreciated. Car is still almost entirely stock, still has the P.O.S. leanburn and emmissions stuff. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! thanx guys
Old 03-19-2003, 01:15 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

The following upgrades transformed my old '79 / 360 Magnum from a 10 MPG (Hwy.) guzzler into a 20 MPG (Hyw. again.) penny pincher.

MSD!!!!!! Plugs were champs wires & box MSD, Stock MoPar disrib.
Advance it till it pings. Then back of 2-4 degrees.
Although there are better intakes than this next set of mods...
A factory 4bbl (360 for a 360) with a Carter 625. Toppped with a K&N in a factory '73-340 "Trap door" air cleaner.
From here, do a dual exhaust system with an "H" pipe and 2 1/4 pipe min. I really recomend Hooker Areo Chambers although all most any turbo muffler will help.
I never got to headers. The stock manifolds did the work. (Shame)

I cannot comment on the chain directly, but I understand they have a nylon gear on the cam. Adfvancing the cam can have an effect on MPG's, but I never got there myself. Sorry.

Note;

An open element would do better (Re jet if necc.) and taller tires for the trip would increase mileage as well. A new speedo gear would be needed if ya went really tall.
Changing the fan to a viscous or electric unit would help some.
Run synth oil everywhere if ya got the bucks.
Drive in peak torque.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:32 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin some tips for the the Dips

Definatly $hit can the lean burn sys. if you cant afford an MSD sys like rumblfish sugessted go with a Mopar Performance electronic conversion kit. Check Summit Racing, Mancini Racing, Jegs. Places like that have them. comes with new dist, wiring harness, ballast resistor, and orange ECU. they really make a difference!
The timing chain in my 86 5th's 318 was so streched, I diddnt need to take a gear off and the chain just peeled right off! So yes definatly replace the timing chain. dont forget the two bolts in the bottom of the timing cover that go through the frontof the oil pan. as far as the 4* retarded thing, I dont know.
K&N air filter will help.
Headers would definatly let that thing breath easier, especially if you get rid of the THREE catalitic converters yes THREE
headman PN 78050 is a perfect fit in an M body. just have to raise the engine out about 6 inches, and unhook the center drag link. put 2.5" dual pipes out the back with aset of two chamber flowmasters and you will be stylin' and getting some gas mileage.
My 400+hp 360 was getting 8mpg in my 5th. but its a race engine, so............
good luck and keep us posted!
5th
Old 03-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I went the orange box route first. Just the box and wireingkit/ballast resister. That was nice. A chrome box worked better, and is recomended above the orange even for daily driving.
The MSD added almost 3 MPG's total over he MoPar orange.
3 X 20 gallon gas tank = an extra 60 miles per tank fill.
IMO, very worth it.