Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-23-2003, 10:03 PM
Inactive User

Help Installing an MSD 6al, need some guidance

I'm getting ready to add an MSD box to my Satellite and I'm wondering if the installation is as easy as the directions say. Am I correct in understanding that the ecu box and ballast resitor are thrown out, (btw I'm running electronic ignition)? I just got curious after reading a post which stated that summit offers the boxes with new wiring harnesses, orange boxes and ballast resistors, I had planned on installing it tonite, but now I'm uncertain, could anyone help me out?

thanks

Corey
Old 03-23-2003, 10:17 PM

Its been a while since I put mine in, but I remember it as being really easy if you follow the directions. I set mine up so that it just plugged in and can be removed easily. But...... I'm also an electrical engineer.

Know what you have to do before opening up the box and starting installation immediately. My suggestions is to sit down and really study the instructions. And, have the wiring diagram of your car and plan it out before you start.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Inactive User

Default MSD 6A

I installed mine on my 1980 Power Wagon and it was very easy.. I did however study the instructions until the wife got pissed and told me to just go do it already..LOL

Yes I did throw out the ballast resistor and the elctronic controller. I also added a new coil but that was for a different reason.. ( it seems even an MSD Blaster SS coil doesn't like being wired to the battery and then left idling..)

Blygy
Old 03-24-2003, 12:41 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Yes
Its easy. Just run as to the directions, no big deal just 2 to the battery, 1 from the 12 volt igntion soarce, and 2 to the distributor thats it!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Inactive User

Default msd

yeah its as easy as you think, but i would use a blaster coil because alot of coils can't hand the multiple spark for long. i bought the black mopar 6AL, alot of local dummies don't even know its a MSD because it doesn't say so.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Default thanks

Hey guys, thanks alot for your immediate responses. I really appreciate it, I thought that was what I had to hook up, but thought "it couldn't be this easy". Well, guess I was just being paranoid. I bought an Accel super stock coil b/c it was the only thing in town yesterday, what do you guys think?

btw, Moparmotorman, I too have the black Mopar box, found one NIB for $130 so I snatched it up.

Corey
Old 03-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Inactive User

Default black box

that's agreat price, someones loss was your gain. i guess you can use the accel coil for a while, but i've had bad luck with them. if you get a blaster coil, order the one for MSD ignitions only. the others come with a ballast resistor which you don't need with the MSD.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:54 AM
Inactive User

When I added mine I left the stock ignition in place to use as a back up ... it takes the guess work out of trouble shooting the ignition.. If it won't start I can switch back to the stock ignition by unplugging the distributor from the MSD and plugging in the stock ECU to see if it was the MSD's fault...3 years later.. the MSD was never the problem..

When I added my MSD I noticed improved throttle response, better mileage, a small drop in ET, idle quality improved and it stopped loading up.... all big plusses...
Old 03-26-2003, 10:37 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by plymsatellite66
I bought an Accel super stock coil b/c it was the only thing in town yesterday, what do you guys think?
i have an Accel super stock on my roadrunner. had it for a little more than 5 years too! plus, it was on the car while the owner before me had it! hadn't had any problem, and i have found out it still packs quite a wallop!

good luck with your MSD... personally, i won't get the 6AL cause i already have 2 rev limiters (one on tach, and one on my NOS Mastermind), and i don't see the need for the rubber mounts on a street car that actually goes really slow on rough roads... my 295/50's like to smack my fenders...guess i didn't get the right backspacing... i'd get different wheels, but these were already $600 each...

what i want is the MSD 6 Digital Plus!

Old 03-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

Default 6al

Well, I must say, I'm not running quite the setup it seems you're running, currently and over-cammed low comp 318, but I figure the 6al will be just right for my 440, basically a stock looking car, no nos or fuel injection of the such. I hope that the Accel holds up, for $40 from autozone it better, I know I know they are much less in Summit and the like, but I really wanted it that day. Only to still not have it installed, been spending too much time repainting my D100 that way I can get it outta the shop.

thanks for all the replies

Corey
Old 03-27-2003, 11:47 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Seems like I read some where not to run the Accel Super Coils on the MSD 6AL igntion. The MSD High Vibration coils are less than $40.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Inactive User

Default hhhmmm

Hhhmmm, that is interesting, has anyone else heard of this, I still have time because I haven't installed mine yet, waiting for this weekend. If anyone has heard of this, please let me know.
1972 roadrunner, You said you have run the coil for five years, have you noticed anything with your setup?

thanks
Corey
Old 03-28-2003, 09:15 AM
Inactive User

I installed a Holley strip Annihalator system on my Duster(the holley is junk,but thats a different story)and it Killed my old Accel yellow coil.the Accel is designed for a 12v system on the primary.These super hot muliple spark boxes put a MUCH higher voltage on the coil.I bought a MSD BLASTER 2 wasnt very expensive.--------Good Luck
Old 03-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Inactive User

It's always a good idea to install the recommended coil with the ignition box, just so there are no compatability problems.

By the way I installed an MSD 6A on my kids car one evening in the parking lot at his job. It's super easy, you don't have to be an electrical engineer to hook it up.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dusterrcr
I installed a Holley strip Annihalator system on my Duster(the holley is junk,but thats a different story)...
I have been thinking about buying a Holley Strip Annihalator system. The part number ends in -200. It comes with 3 rev limiters, 2 rpm switches, and a retard for starting. What exactly was wrong with the unit that you had/have?
Did Holley take care of the problem?

Thanks for the information.

Mopar_Maniac

ixlr8rt@aol.com
Old 03-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Inactive User

The thing has 2 huge wiring harnesses.took me all day to install it.motor fired right up,then lost tach output,and it ran a little rough.ckd all my wiring everything was ok still no tach output.ripped it out and sent it back to jegs.got another one and everything ran fine.It has a random or sequential rev limiter option but neither is as smooth as MSD.The programmer is a little confusing it is slow to respond (scrolling thru menu,s or making changes)better keep the instructions in the car.anyway it was working fine till the end of last season, then guess what?-----Lost tach output and car popped and banged all the way down the track!Called jegs, I wanted a refund-or swap it for a MSD.they said ---sorry its(barely) over a year old--cant help you--called Holley ,they said we will fix it.but i really dont feel like installing it all over again just to have it fail at the track.Know what i mean?--Good luck!
Old 03-31-2003, 02:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: hhhmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by plymsatellite66
1972 roadrunner, You said you have run the coil for five years, have you noticed anything with your setup?

thanks
Corey
i'm usin the mopar gold box right now, so no problems at all with ignition. i would really LIKE to use the MSD digital 6 plus in the future, when the engine is running again and i have some money...

good luck!