Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-29-2003, 01:39 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes2 Painless Wiring cure for Mopar Wiring?

After replacing almost every piece of wire in my '74 Challenger I still get no juice to the run circuit. I suspect my fuseblock has had a meltdown or two. I'm getting pretty pissed and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with those Painless Wiring kits. Would the Jeep kit be the one to use or is there another, cheaper source for a good fuseblock and harness? Anybody, Help!!!
Old 03-29-2003, 03:01 PM
Inactive User

Cmon guys I know some of you have had wiring headaches! Pipe up!
Old 03-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Inactive User

Default wiring woes

no reason you couldn't use a painless wiring kit, but that would be alot of work, dash,headlite,tailite,wiper,engine,etc.. i know this is only a possibility,but long ago when i had a 73 challenger, i had an intermittant power prob. turned out the harness connector from the steering column to the main harness melted. so i spliced and made new connectors.later with that car same problem resurfaced, this time it turned out to be the ignition key switch. after so many times turning that key on & off they have a right to go.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Inactive User

I have used Painless wiring kits before, and they work great. I used the on a 64' GMC suburban, and a 69 impala. Painless does make kits for certain mopars in their catologs. I know a fried who is a dealer for them and will ask him for sure.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Inactive User

i've been lookin at an 18 circuit for my roadrunner (electric fuel pump, and other fuses that won't be used...can use them for NOS, water squirters, amp, and other stuffs... )

from what i've heard, everything is labeled and comes with instructions....sounds good to me
Old 04-03-2003, 04:47 AM
Inactive User

ok, i worked for a while with painless about getting a kit set up for mopars. it is, according to the R&D department, a no go. you cant get the plastic parts. so theres that.
what im gonna do, and would suggest you do, is to get all the plastoc connectors you will need. then, go to madelectrical.co, and read everything they have on there. next, sit down with a factory haness diagram and the mad info, and map out a new irimgh harnes. use as few mechanical connections as possible to keep resistance down. afte that, go to town.
good luck, man. youll need it.
mike
Old 04-06-2003, 11:12 AM
Inactive User

I ordered a Painless kit a while back for a 68 Charger 440. I wired the entire car on a weekend. It did indeed work, but I was a little impatient and my firewall looked like a friggin Lucky Charms commercial with all those bright colored wires going everywhere. I ended up stripping the entire car for a full blown body restoration. I'm going back to the original harnesses from Year-One.

J-440
Old 04-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

Yeah that would be the way to go but the harness I need from Year one is almost $600!!! JEEEEZ
Old 04-06-2003, 11:12 PM

I suggest a volt meter and the wiring schemetic for your car and find out where you're losing your battery. Maybe you're losing your ground, using the volt meter and tracing the battery/ground may save a lot of money in the long run and probably save you from buying something you may not need.

Couple of easy questions using a volt meter:

> does the battery show up on the other side of the fuse
>if it does, then.....
>does it show up at "ignition 1" and "ignition 2" at the bulkhead
>If not it could be your ignition switch
>How about the ground
>did you sandpaper the block so that the ground wire is bolted on actual bare metal