Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Inactive User

Help Shimmy at 70MPH+

Hi all,
I have a 72 RR and was wondering what could cause the front end to shimmy at over 70MPH.

Nothing is really noticeable until after 70 MPH and then as the car goes faster it seems like it wants to shake itself apart.

I had the front end aligned a little bit ago (it was worse before) and the car points straight as an arrow now except for the shimmy. I do have some slop in the manual stearing, but it does not seem out of the ordinary.

I was planning on running it at the local track this summer, but wanted to work the shimmy out before I did.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 03-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Inactive User

I would assume the alignment people checked the front for worn parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, etc. Could be a balance problem or a belt starting to separate in a tire. Ask the alignment folks if anything appeared marginal. Wheel bearing can do strange things when loose. Just stabbing in the dark here!
Old 03-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by jelsr
I would assume the alignment people checked the front for worn parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, etc. Could be a balance problem or a belt starting to separate in a tire. Ask the alignment folks if anything appeared marginal. Wheel bearing can do strange things when loose. Just stabbing in the dark here!
Yeh, I would assume they would too. I think I will have them take another look, I have a feeling they missed something.

The tires are a little older, I'm going to check that too. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-29-2003, 08:12 PM

The Drums/rotors may be warped or your wheels may need balancing too. These are things that don't manifest themselves till your moving prteety good.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:39 AM
Banned

Too much positive caster will aid turn in but will cause a high speed wander. Adjust the preload on your steer box then have them realign it.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Inactive User

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to check it out this week.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
I would assume the alignment people checked the front for worn parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, etc.
You would think so, but I have found most alignment shops "set the toe and let it go" most are used to newer cars where they put it up on a lift, take a measurement and proceed to the all important business of selling people rear alignments.

I must say, that I did actually find a good one in my area, but it took years of looking.

I would look for a wheel balance problem, or maybe even a driveline vibration (shaft, maybe?)
Old 04-01-2003, 09:26 AM
Inactive User

Default It was tires...

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips.

Due to all the replies I was able to isolate the problem down to a couple of possibles...it was not any of the bushings or part of the front end itself since as I saw (once car was on the lift) all that was replaced (in fact, by the previous owner), so it seemed down to the wheels.

We put them on a balancer and saw the problem instantly - they were out of balance and the tires themselves were out of wack (like ovals). I had the tires replaced and it runs on the road a lot smoother now.

Thanks again!