Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-30-2003, 10:28 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Default intake plenum ??

HI, I have been wondering about the installation of a "turtle" on the floor of my strip dominator manifold.
anyone ever do this ??
what are the pros and cons of this mod ?

thanx guys
Old 03-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Inactive User

Turtles are used in larger plenum manifolds than the Holley(wilson 4500/offenhauser dial a flow).You may get better response from a divider such as available from Weiand(see SBC)xcellerator.As well you can build a reversion plate similar to that used in tunnel rams by The Grump way back in his Vega/Monza days.This consistied of a 4 hole spacer with 4 rings welded to the bottom about 1 inch long but the length is determined by plemun size.Ill be testing both of these on a chassis dyno in about 1 month on a Weiand 7534 and M1 in a 440 car.We currently have the divider in the Weiand and found it to work well but no #s on the gain/loss with a 292/509.We did this due to the rpm range of 7800 peak and a 6500 rpm engine range.(reduced top end limit)
Old 03-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

We experimented with "turtles" several years ago with a 350", W2 equipped(non ported), oval track application. The engine had a Holley "Strip Dominator" intake. We milled the center of the plenum flat, drilled a !/4" hole in the center so we could try several different shapes by simply unbolting/ installing new one.

They do help throttle response, but above 4000 don't offer any improvement. And, they probably hurt a serious engine above 7500. Don't have any dyno numbers because we were going for throttle response, not numbers. The turtle we ended up with was fairly large, about 1 1/2" high, contoured to fill up space on the plenium floor but not be restrictive to intake runner flow.

We do not use them now, not because they don't work but because our engine combos don't need them- our problem now is how to calm the engines down off the turns.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:34 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

SANBORN, you wouldn't have a pic of one would you ?
i'd like to see if its difficult to fab up
Old 03-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Inactive User

Supposedly (i've never personally seen one) they are just small pyramids of metal. Square base leading to a point. I know there was a post on here about them and someone posted a picture. I guess I'll go hunting for it.

-Fox Deacon
Old 03-31-2003, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

Sorry, don't have a photo. The last one we used was about 3 1/2" long, about 2 1/2" wide that started out almost a square. The height was about 1/4" high at the base and tapered up to a point that was 1 1/2" high. It bolted in by a 1/4" bolt that went through the bottom of the plenium base.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Inactive User

"Turtles" only give you good results if your manifold doesn't work right for your engine in the first place.

If you select the proper intake manifold for your engine, it will run just fine without any plenum modifications, besides the normal port work and clean up of casting flash.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Rodger, what do you think of dual throttle body and port injected on a 440? 426? 413? Using a dual carb intake?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

So like a dual quad EFI huh. I see that as running better than two carbs. Since a dual carb, you wont have as much air velocity to pull fuel past the venturi's. Hence why you have to jet it larger than running one carb. You would only need to run one TPS sensor, instead of one on each throttle body.

I still don't think it will run as well as a properly designed EFI manifold. But then, no one really makes any of those, including us. A true EFI manifold will run better, instead of a carb look-a-like manifold.

But a dual-throttle body EFI setup to look like a dual carb setup would probably look really impressive and get much better fuel milage!
Old 03-31-2003, 04:40 PM
Inactive User

Ya, I'm still thinking on it. Maybe if I can get that Hemi I'll try it. If I use my 440, I'm positive I'll try it. At least check out the possibilities with the intake itselfand try to design the injector locations and how to install them.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Inactive User

Ok....keeping on the subject matter...here's a pic of what Mondello does to Olds intake manifolds.

Old 04-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

Hey, Rodger--how come that guy has a butt plug in the plenum of that intake? J/K. Have you tried to sell demon a performer RPM yet? It sounds like he is after more bottom end. Demon, a real dual plane will work better (on average) across the whole band for most street/strip applications. AMX, that is a neat sounding idea. I have pondered many a time how that would work on a centrifugal supercharged or turbo application. Good luck with the project.