Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:26 AM
Inactive User

Default Disc brake combo's

Just a word of warning, when scowering for junk yard stuff.

I am converting a customers 69 roadrunner to disc brakes using the common 73-76 a body parts. The customer wants the "Bigger" rotors so I went to get a set of the different caliper adapters, from the local junk yard.

Found a 75 fury(looked a lot like a cordoba) with some honking big disc brakes on it. Took the caliper adapters off of it(that's the only part I needed, the calipers are supposed to be the same).

strolled around thye yard, and found that these adapters were WAY too big. Bolt pattern way wrong. Looked at the calipers, they too were bigger, than the regular stuff. Measured the rotors to find they were 11.5" (not the 11.75" I was looking for)

It looks like this car had brakes that were closer to truck disc brakes rather than Car ones. All the parts really BEEFY.

Also really useless, as there is no way any of it will bolt on with what I've got.

I ran into similar problems with a 74 imperial, that came to the shop. All the parts were just a little but different than what I could get for the car. Parts catalog only showed from 75 and up only, and non of the 75 stuff would work.

Weird, eh?

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. After all, how many times do you hear "...one of those from any disc brake car will work..."

Maybe not.

ps I did find the right adapters on what looked like a 82? C body newyorker?
Old 03-31-2003, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

The mid to late 70's cars are very tricky to sort out in a wrecking yard. The same name plate was used on C,B and FMJ body cars in some cases. Sometimes a car that was a C body forever suddenly becomes a B body the next year.

The best way to keep it straight is to carry one of Galen's white books with you. If you don't have a white book then read the VIN tag. What you want for the 11.75 swap are cars that are RWD and have a VIN that starts with R,S,X.

With some experience you can tell the C body stuff from the B and R body stuff but it does take time. Easiest way to see the difference is to look at the width. The C body stuff is 1.250 thick rather than 1.00. And you're correct, the C body stuff is basically the same as the light truck stuff.

Andy