Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Inactive User

Question Aftermarket speaker & sub setup for a 70 E-body?

I am in the planning stages of setting up a nice stereo system for my 70 Cuda. I already have a nice deck that feeds 4 speakers plus has a line output for an amplifier. I'd like to put together a nice aftermarket system. I already have 2 6X9s installed in the rear package tray.

I was wondering if anybody has advice for setting up this stereo system. I think I am going to put speakers in the door panels (yes, it sounds ugly, but these door panels are faded and warped, so it's not like I am ruining perfect OEM pieces). I also am wondering what I should do with the opening in the dash for the center speaker. Finally, I'd like to add a subwoofer, but there really isn't a place to put it where the sound will not be absorbed in the trunk. I thought of putting a piece of soundboard behind the rear seat and installing open air subs in that. Anybody try that? Will the bass come through the rear seats ok?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Speakers in kick panel?

For the front speakers, how about putting them in the kick panel instead of the door panel? It would probably look a lot better and with the right speakers you would not lose any sound quality.

Here's a pic of mine in a 72 RR:

I pointed the tweeters (Infinitys have directional tweeters) towards the seats.

I left my center dash speaker alone (it's still hooked up to the AM radio ).
Old 04-04-2003, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

Default Low Impact Components

Cerwin Vega and Kenwood both make component speakers with a 4" driver and a 1"tweeter. If your car has a 4X10 center speaker you can make a plate out of wood or aluminum or whatever and mount the two 4" speakers in that plate, then you can surface mount the tweeters and avoid having to cut any holes. Its nice too because the sound is right up front as opposed to coming from your feet and it's low visibility, damn thieves.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Inactive User

if your head unit has only one set of preouts they are usually set up for the rear-only run the pre out or the built in amp-not both,not good the the deck

now for a set up
speakers in the door would work-in the front lower area,take the panel off and see what you can put in size wise
you could make or get kickpanel enclosures,would sound better if they are set up correctly,angled to fit the car better-so it would be better to start to get an idea on what you may want in the future
you have 6X9s in the rear
free air subs would work,make sure you make the board properly,I have never used used free air subs before,but I have one I may use in something
even in a box,it wouldnt matter,make sure you have a way for the sound to get through,the rear deck should have openings,make sure there is no sound deadening to muffle the sound-could make a port in the deck
the center speaker-you very well could put the 2 in the dash-would bring the sound up as Jason said-could leave it empty-your choice

remember sound costs money,how loud do you wanna go

this is a set up I am puting in my truck
deck run the dash speakers-whatever will fit,prob 3"
rear preout go into a 1/2 din eq running a 5 channel amp
kick panel speakers-6 1/2
rear speakers-6X9s
sub-10"
Old 04-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the advice. I think I will use that idea of the dual speakers in the opening for the dash. Still not decided yet where to put the front speakers or the sub. Took the door panel off on Saturday to do some work and looked behind it, unfortunately the area directly behind the door panel is metal, so I'd have to cut a hole in the metal too in order to fit the magnet. I don't remember there being a lot of room behind the kick panels either.

For a really radical design, I am thinking I might try and fabricate a pivit for the rear seat back so that it will rotate down when nobody is in the rear (much like modern cars have for increasing cargo space). If I could hook it up to have it open and close with a servo, it would look really sweet to have that thing rotate open and see two subs right behind it, and then I wouldn't have to worry about muffling the subs. I think that sounds pretty cool, but it will be a lot more work and money too. It may be a project I will have to plan out over a longer period of time.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 04-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Inactive User

thats what we are hear for

the first thing to always decide is how much to put into the system-cash,time,work,ect

the rear seat would be kewl to say the least-I have a 96 cavalier that the rear seat is almost always down
as for the kicks-they have no room behind them-but you break open the fiberglass and make a pod for the speakers-angle the speakers so they are more "on axis" to get the best sound

just like your car-its an ongoing project
I currently have 4 ongoing projects-and those are just mine,I still have my dads,friends,family
now if only I had time to do one of them