Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Inactive User

Default 360 Balancers?

Guy's im still confused as all getout on this issue anyway i posted once about this but conflicting stories are making me pull hair out by the handful's! OK my motor i finally found out is a 73' 360 and that it came out of a D-150 with a manual tranny. Like i said before i have 2 Harmonic balancers that ARE POSITEVLY Off of 360's and my cousin has one that has the big Counterweight the other 2 look like 318 Balancers but have a indentation halfway around one side of the balancer. I went to our local CARQUEST and they told me there are 2 different Balancers one for a Manual Tranny equipped motor (that one looked like the 2 balancers like the ones i have) and a balancer for a Automatic equipped 360 and it had the Big counterweight on the one side of it. anyway my question is Will it hurt the motor if i run one of the MT 360 balancers with my OD automatic in my 91 Dakota? i can't see any real diff. because both cranks the AT version and the MT both have Cast cranks unlike the forged 318 cranks what gives!! i really need some help on this because im about ready to swap the 360 into the Dakota!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:27 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Run the damper that came off the engine from the factory, no need to second guess. Although most 360's dampers may look the same, the bob weight and specific balancing may be different. Then again maybe not, run the orignal balancer and forget it. If the engine is being overhualed professionally, it wont matter much because your going to balance it right? If going to oversize pistons or aftermarket ones the bob weight changes, not good for bearing life, and mpore so in engines that will be reved.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Inactive User

i always heard you could use either, 1 has weight added to a side for external balance, the other has weight removed from a side for external balance. i distinctly remember a mopar action article where e-berger said if you have the later balancer use it because its lighter. the later one has weght removed from a side.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Inactive User

Default balancer

i have run both on my 360, and i suggest the later balancer for the reasons stated above. it made no noticeable difference in the motor (at least not seat o' the pants) but looks a lot neater w/o that big chunk of crap hanging off it.

btw, my 360 is from a 1981 MT 4x4 and it had the giant bobweight on it, but a 79 New Yorker (AT) i just plucked a motor from had the lighter one.

sean
Old 04-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Inactive User

Hey thanks alot for the added info guy's i really appreciate it. i think i'll take the advice and run the Balancer without the weight
since it does look cleaner like mopar_nocar said. Thanks alot again for the info guy's!