Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Inactive User

Help 360 magnum crate users

Hello,

I am trying to find out a vibration problem with this setup: I have a crate magnum 360 installed on a Duster with 727.

Have somebody done this installation without vibration? Mine vibrates in park, neutral and driving at 3000 rpm and higher..

Called MP. techline and they are confusing me a
little. First I installed a plate (with weights) p4876706 with a neutral balance converter.

Now they told me that I need to add weigths to the converter and leave that plate (with weights on!)

You help is appreciated.

Could something else be wrong with that engine?
Old 04-02-2003, 04:34 PM
Inactive User

What converter and flex plate do you have now?
I'm pretty sure the weights for the magnum 360 are different than the standard 360.
Also did you recheck converter and flex plate bolts.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

I`m using a B&M flexplate weighted for a Magnum (93 n up 360). I ground the weights off the converter, runs w/no shake
Old 04-03-2003, 01:04 AM
Inactive User

Are you using the provided MP ignition?
So was I , and had the same problem , until the thing burned out last week. When I got it back from the shop, the mechanic, smart guy but not a Mopar dude, rewired it and put in a five pin Borg/Warner replacement for the original electronic ignition(the MP upgrade is a 4 pin job).

Now she runs smooth as glass over 3000rpm, where before she would shake like a table dancer.

I have to figure out how he wired it, but I can suggest you run, don't walk, to an auto parts store and pick up an aftermarket ignition box.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Inactive User

Question

You said you ground the weights of of what?. The torque converters have to be balanced differently for the Magnum motors. Could the vibration be the "large cam"?. The torgue converter I got was balanced specifivally for the motor. Todd.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Toddd
You said you ground the weights of of what?. The torque converters have to be balanced differently for the Magnum motors. Could the vibration be the "large cam"?. The torgue converter I got was balanced specifivally for the motor. Todd.
I used a B&M flexplate 10242** '93 - '99 externally balanced 360 with A-727 . This flexplate is designed to use a nuetral balnce (no weight) converter, I kept the stock LA motor balanced converter and ground the weights off of it. There`s more detailed info on what i did at this websight,
http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/...owtoshow;id=20
Old 04-03-2003, 11:12 PM
Inactive User

I used the original flex plate that wasn't touched. How can you check the flex plate for balance?.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:31 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Toddd
I used the original flex plate that wasn't touched. How can you check the flex plate for balance?.
look at the plates on the B&M site
http://www.bmracing.com/products/tra..._chrysler.html

you can see the area where the plat is scalloped out to balance it, you can also see it at the site I posted prev.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

Amazing work you did on your Ram to swap the Magnum. I share that feeling. Just a swap...yeah right!

In mine without AC I had also to make some adjustment on alternator brackets and water pump for fitting the pulleys...Simple but takes a tremendous amount of time.

Regarding the vibration. Guess what? It is on and off. Usually on a steep hill on neutral, it goes off no vibration. So that eliminates the vibration from balance. I guess then it is the transmission. Something might be loose. It makes strange sound, a little rattle. What is more strange is the on and off vibration in neutral or park.

Any ideas?? Transmission experts??

About the MP. ignition is interesting. I have blown 2 orange boxes in 2 different vehicles. Right now using "Bosch" 4 pin without trouble.