Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-04-2003, 01:20 AM

Default another /6 testimonial

Well yesterday the wife was driving the beater volare (250,000 mile car I got for free) home from out of town when she noticed some smoke in the rear view mirror. Of course she didn't think anything of it. Didn't even look at the guages and just kept driving. She reached a stop light and noticed smoke coming from the hood. She kept driving. 30 miles after she noticed the first bit of smoke she pulled over cause the car was "running weird" and called me.

Jon to the rescue. When I got there the old /6 tossed the belt off of the alternator and waterpump. So I started checking things out and you could move the shaft of the waterpump from side to side about 1/2 inch. Burned the bearings out of it. No coolant in the radiator. Even when I pulled the bottom hose I only got about 1/4 gallon out of it. So we went we went looking for auto part stores. Stopped at Checker Auto and of course "we have to order it", went to Napa "we have to order it", I finally found it at Bumper to bumper. $12 for the pump, $7 for antifreeze, $7 for a set of allen wrenches for the one cap screw in the waterpump, and $5 for the belt and I was on my way back. I changed the pump out in the gas station parking lot. Hour later it was back on the road no problems. I let it warm up in the parking lot to get the air out of the system. we went for a drive on the highway and I wound it up to 90 for 5 minutes guage didn't move and the car ran great. I thought for sure she cooked that one.

Changing the pump really wasn't that bad for an A/C car. I didn't like the cap screw deal though. They could have moved the bolt over and up 1/2 inch and put a normal bolt in it. But I'm ready for it next time.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Inactive User

1 hour to fix it 5 hours standing at different parts counters. makes me crazy.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:41 AM

Me too, and for something as common as a /6. Yea it's a little old but that engine was made for 25 years.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin UNBEATABLE reliability!

My little Brother had a '68 Barracuda with a /6. He drove the crap out of it and one day he told me it has been running a bit hot but it still runs good so he decided the gauge was wrong.
He pulled it up at my house one evening and I popped the hood to take a peak. The exhaust manifold was GLOWING RED obviously from a massive lean condition. I told him he better get serious about fixing the problem before it self distructed! Well, he pulled the thermostat and changed the radiator cap. That was his fix. He never went any further on fixing the problem. It still got hot but he kept driving it until the day he sold it a couple years later. It never failed him.

Knew another guy that drove his /6 Dart for years with low oil pressure and lower end noise. Never died. He finally sold the car to a guy that wanted the body to build a drag car.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

And to think some still have the nerve to advertise "Built Ford Tough"
LOL @ them