Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-04-1999, 10:14 AM
Inactive User

Angry

Why was not the public involved in the decision?
Old 12-04-1999, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

The public was involved. They voted with the check books, and they didn't buy enough Plymouths.
Old 12-04-1999, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Why would the public buy a Plymouth?? It turned into a economy brand.There wasn't anything exciting anymore about the brand.Don't get me wrong,I'm a loyal Plymouth supporter and really hate to see them go away,but you have to ask yourself if there was any Plymouth model you would buy today.Prowler?? Too expensive and at 6ft,I cant drive one with the top up(I have driven 2)Breeze?? I'd rather have the Cirrus- more options.Voyager?? No, I have a Jeep and a Ramcharger.Neon?? Ok,I'd take one of those,but the Dodge will have the Neon R/T.What's left???
Old 12-05-1999, 07:06 AM
Inactive User

It's just a shame to see a piece of history fade into obscurity. I agree that Plymouth should have an identity that sets it apart. It needs to regain some of the former glory it once had. If we would have gotten the 30 year anniversary Road Runner at the price they had mentioned with it it would have been nice. Chrysler didn't think though that it was necessary to save the brand in that fashion. Daimler/Chrysler neede to develop a cheap performance car for Plymouth, but didn't. Sorry I feel passionate about my Plymouths. My dad had Dusters and I currently have a '65 Valiant Signet and '77 Trailduster. I shall miss the Plymouth nameplate. Maybe they'll resurrect it like the Imperial nameplate. Yeah, right!!!!!
Old 12-06-1999, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

The demise of Plymouth shouldn't surprise anyone-- the writing's been on the wall for some time. Look for the same thing to happen in other co.,s as well. The redundant "re-badging" of products between "divisions" is going to slowly disappear at GM and Ford.
At GM, there is a serious examination going on with regard to the "need" for so many cross-platform "models", same at Ford-- DC
just looked at the Biz, and decided the line was a "loss-leader" they didn't need.
T
Old 12-06-1999, 05:37 PM
Inactive User

When I said the public voted by not buying Plymouths, I neglected to say why.

Like others pointed out, it's a marketing failure. Chrysler made no attempt to give Plymouth an identity. Look at the success of "new" names that have hit the market in the last 10 years or so. Accura, Infiniti, and a host of Asian models have found niches in the automotive market by defining their image.

Poor Plymouth had to take a back seat to everything. It would have been far better to delete the Cirrus and Sebring as Chrysler models, and make them Plymouths. The same for the Sebring convertible. Mustang is a Ford, not a Lincoln. By passing off a 4-cyl compact as a Chrysler, they compromised both the Chrysler and Plymouth names.

Killing Plymouth is not the dumbest thing from Chrysler management, but it's near the top.