Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Inactive User

Help emissions gas tank

I am restoring a 72 Cuda. It is a 318 car but a 360 is going in. Am considering buying a repo gas tank. The 72 tank has many hoses (I think 4) all together coming into the tank as part of an emissions system. They go up to a manifold located above and very near the tank. And I think this connected to a charcoal canister. If I buy a 72 repo tank, it has these 4 tubes. If I buy a 70-71 repo tank, it does not have these 4 tubes.

Q1, where can I learn how the 72 emissions system was suppose to work?

Q2, Would I be better off buying the 70-71 tank? I am NOT trying to create a totally pure resto. I just want a good working car, I plan to run the blue holley electric pump, that is how original I am planning to be.

Thanks, Tim
Concord, NC
Old 04-13-2003, 07:55 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

The older tank is easier to do. The newer tank has tubes that run around into and out off the tank.
A factory manual or repr. emmisions sticker should have what your looking for. (The book is best, the sticker is for the engine only.)
Old 04-13-2003, 09:13 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

You should be emissions exempt, check your state laws. If doing a concoarse resto I can see what the problem is. Fact is that the factory cars with the correct emission hardware, in perfect shape, could not pass 99% of the state emission sniffer tests anyway. I like the 2 hose tanks one the main fuel, ande one a vapor retrun line. Which I dont run either. I could not run a vent cap do to the way the Duster is made. I just installed a 1 way check valve of a newer Ferd Town car. Who says the blue oval guys dont contribute. LOL
Old 04-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

Default emissions gas tank

rumblefish360, Thanks for your note to my thread. As you have a 73 cuda, you probably have some good info for me. Can I email you? I tried thru this chat room, but was denied to get your email address. I am at eckertt@epri.com. I was hoping for some insight on what the 4 tubes do after they go into the tank. Do they go to different depths? Go to different corners of the tank? Any idea? Mostly a curousity.

6 packin, Thanks for your answer as well. Here in North Carolina I think I am safe because the Cuda is older than 74.

I think my real concern is, "If I buy the 70-71 tank without the 4 extra tubes in the tank, will I have extra tubes on the car that I won't have anything to send them to? Am I correct at all Cudas have 3 tubes running from the gas tank to the front of car? 1) gas line either 5/16 or 3/8 2) gas return line 1/4 inch and 3) vapor return line. Or did 70-71 Cudas only have some of these 3 lines.

Thanks for answers and contact emails. Tim
Old 04-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I e-mailed you Tim. Not a problem to e-mail me at all. Under my user name, is a hint to all. That's why it's there.
We'll work on it and post pertinent info w/pics.
Quote:
Fact is that the factory cars with the correct emission hardware, in perfect shape, could not pass 99% of the state emission sniffer tests anyway.
I whole disagree, unless you mean for 2003 standards. It will never, IMO, stand up to fuel injection cars emissions. But I could be wrong there.