Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Inactive User

Angry Hughes Engines and Canadians

I tried to ordeer rocker shims from Hughes on line only to find you cant do that.Then after a number of long distance calls they then tell me they will not take a Canadian credit card?They will take a USA money order.When I LAST CHECKED MY CARD WORKED IN EVERY COUNTRY I EVER VISTED INCLUDING THE USA.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

Buy somewhere else. Like Mancini Racing for example.
There's no such thing as a "Canadian" credit card. Visa, Mastercard, Amex. etc. are all recognized in countries all over the globe. They obviously don't want your business!..............djs
Old 04-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
There's no such thing as a "Canadian" credit card. Visa, Mastercard, Amex. etc. are all recognized in countries all over the globe. They obviously don't want your business!..............
I'd call them and spend the long distance charges just to tell them that, kinda to their face.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

Default Weird

I just got a cam lifters springs and a timing set from Hughes in January and never had a problem. Just talked to them the other day and they were more than happy to answer my questions..

they are supposed to have an outlet in Saskatoon soon. Auto Clearing I believe it was called..

wait and save your money as the only problem I have with them is the fact that they ship FedEx or UPS only(one or the other) and I got hit with a $50 processing fee when it crossed the border.

overall I'm happy with them so far.. we'll see how the cam does on the street though.

Blygy
Old 04-16-2003, 05:12 AM

Post Ongoing issues

I also have purchased; products from Hughes Engine inc. , Nov. of 2002. Drove there to pick up stage 2 heads and also purchased rocker shafts, spacers, and 1.6 rockers,cam &lifters.
At this very time ; the rocker shafts , spacers, and rockers are at Hughes for their assement of the rockers. When measured on the engine and when measured separately, the ratios veried from 1.625/1 to1.767 /1 .
Almost forgot to mention also shipped the rockers to my local machine shop and had them check them for ratios;cost $85 Can. Also shipped the same rockers to a well known US.machine shop/mechanic out West. Just incase they thought Canadians couldn't check things. We will see if they will come good for the rockers or claim they are now out of warrrenty
I did not have issues when I was there in person, seemed they had NO issues taking my money. Will see, and let you know if they cover their product claims of Corrected RATIOS...... Not being mean spirted just trying to give them the benifit of a doubt.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Inactive User

jimm II,
Please let us know how everything works out. Considering purchasing the same type components as you already have.

Thanks,
drag-n
Old 04-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

jimm II,
Almost forgot, try using this forum as leverage to get what you deserve if they want to play hardball. There are a lot of potential customers here and good P.R. could go along way and bad could be devistating to future business from members on this site, including myself.

drag-n
Old 04-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Inactive User

Blygy - where did you hear that info concerning Saskatoon and Auto Clearing?

Seems wierd to me that they would set up the distributor in Saskatchewan. Auto Clearing is one of the two Chrysler dealerships in Saskatoon which seems weird too.

Auto Clearing does have a huge parts dept. where once you walk in they (last time I was there) have a MP 528 Hemi Crate Engine on display among others.

My buddies and I have never had any problems dealing (buying or getting help) w/ Hughes. Seems to be one of the few companies that want their products to run as best possible....
Old 04-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Inactive User

Deffinately, let us know how it goes, I'm planning on spending quite a bit of dough there, but if they don't lke Canadians, or don't accept our money (or credit cards) they can shuve it, I figure someone will be getting a bunch of money from me, they better be happy and willing to take it
Old 04-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

Default from the horses mouth

When I phoned to ask some questions about what pistons to run with my cam I bought I mentioned how a $450USD order turned into almost $800CD by the time I got it and they told me they were setting it up and that in a week or two it would be a go.

Blygy
Old 04-16-2003, 04:01 PM

holshotbb...

The shims you are looking for...are they the ones that help center the rockers over the valves? I'm assuming you need them for a big block?

I have a set that I bought from Mopar Performance, part number P3690896.

If they are what you are looking for why don't you send me an e-mail and I'll hook you up with a free set.

ixlr8rt@aol.com

Later,
Mopar_Maniac
Old 04-16-2003, 04:14 PM

bj 96droppedram; I will let this forum know the outcome either way. Just a personal thought get a hold of 66cuda273 and talk to Don about what you are trying to do he will help you out.
I have purchased Mighty Demon 650 and recurved distributor from him. He is more then willing to help out. Give him a call.
www.4secondsflat.com
Old 04-16-2003, 04:55 PM
Inactive User

hmm, thanks for the advice, I guess Don's the man to talk to when you want a mopar to move
Old 04-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Inactive User

Right from the horses mouth. Yes, we at Auto Clearing Chrysler Superstore in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada hope to become Hughes Engines Canadian outlet. We hope to have all the details worked out by mid next week, as we are working with our broker to try and get the best deal to save our customers money. Some one seemed to think it was weird that a Chrysler dealer in Saskatchewan would be their Canadian outlet. Why? We are Mopar dealer who cares about Mopar guys & gals and their rides. We are looking at Hughes to supplement our Mopar Performance line as they have many products not available thru Mopar as well as superior technical advice. We will also have a Canada wide toll free number in operation soon. Check out our Dealership at
www.moparspeedshop.ca

Thanks,
Murray
Parts Manager
Auto Clearing Ltd.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:25 PM

Cool Just an update

Just getting back to everyone to let you's know whats happening.
I contacted Dave at Hughes Engine last monday 04/21/03 to see if he had the chance to inspect the rockers. He said he had and that he would refund the money;some thing about returning my check (I never paid by check). Isuppied him with my email address, home address,and all shipping information with returned parts.
As of tuesday the following week (today ) still no refund. will keep you posted though.
On a lighter note I have purchased a set of Comp Cams Chromemoly rockers thru Don; I've purchased from him before and have had very good luck.
will keep you guys updated......
Old 05-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Inactive User

Hughes Engines

In the FWIW dept, I've known, raced and dealt w/ Dave Hughes for over 40 yrs. I've never known his policies or products to be less than top shelf. If you have a problem, call and ask for Dave. He's the "head cook and bottlewasher" there!!
I'm sure he can get the situation rectified!!

back under my rock!
Old 05-10-2003, 04:50 PM

There has been a check received...went to cash it ...my bank is holding funds against it until it cashs & clears.
This is suppost to take at least 15 bussiness days to clear...I Promise I will have more details then
Old 05-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

That sounds like a Canadian bank vs American bank problem. Not the Hughes people.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:59 AM

rolleyes2 Sorry about the wait. (long)

Dave Hughes's check finaly cleared the bank.The value of the check was for 50% of the total cost of the rockers & shafts. I'm surprized he didn't bounce the check.
Daves reasons for this 50% check where 1.) the rockers were out of there 30 day warranty 2.) he claims, I didn't measure the rockers correctlyand 3.)that I had "MUTILATED" the rockers,making them unresaleable....
"MUTILATED" in Daves meaning the rockers were marked with magic marker and he could not remove it....fact
The facts the way I see them: opinion
1.) YES ; the rockers were out of the 30 day warranty.I waited until the short block was complete,in order to measure the rockers on the engine.
2.) I measured the rockers according to the instuctions,provided by Hughes Engines (256 measurements & recorded),also by the means outlined on the Crane Cams web site.(same) Thats 16 rockers measured in ALL 16 of the valve locations, with a dial indicator & magnetic base. I also measured Each rocker with a digital vernier and recorded the measurements.
I then sent the rockers to my local machine shop;to have them measure them.They marked the rockers with the magic marker;AND the Range of the rocker ratios was still from 1.625/1 to 1.767/1 (Great Quality control Dave).
And as a triple check I sent the rockers to Don to check; NOT only are the ratios way out of wack but visualy the adjusting screws were off centre in the indentations.(looked like W2 rockers)
Responce to #3.) "The MUTILATION of the rockers" Yes my machine shop did mark the rockers.(my responsiblity) they should have been marked with a piece of tape attached to each rocker.
That way Dave claims" he could still resale them."
I told Dave over the phone; that I didn't think he would want to resell a product sooo far out of spec.
Daves responce was :"That it is NOT up to me to be concerned about the next customer;He would take care of that."
In the letter sent from Hughes Engines to me, signed by Kevin. Stating that Quote"Dave was angry and they were only refunding 50% of the purchase price and that I should take the MONEY and run." Be thankfull....UNQUOTE.

My recommendations to Canadians thinking about dealing with this Company.. keep in mind the 30 day warranty....
don't mark THEIR OFFSHORE products... Canadian money has less value than US funds ...shipping back and forth gets expensive when dealing with Hughes Engines. Fact
Others on this web site have had good results with Hughes & their brokers.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING BUSINESS with Hughes Engines or the owner. Unless you can afford to lose half of your money on offshore junk.....My OPINION
If you are talking to Dave ;ask him where his products are made....hint it's NOT the Good ol USA ...
Old 06-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

update,got the shims for the rocker shafts only to find out they sent half of the amounts ordered.Called on your last long weekend monday and left messages about sending the money difference back as we cant/wont wait any longerfor the rest of our parts.No one called any of the #s we lwft.POOR SERVICE at best ,these shims cost us $169 deliverd to the door.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

I for one will never buy from these guys-ever! They sound like they get their business ethics from GER transmissions! .....djs
Old 06-22-2003, 09:39 PM
Inactive User

I have no reason to doubt what has been said here about Hughes, looks like the guys a Hughes has an attitude problem.
It will hurt their business big time , not over night but over the long run. A good name is hard to get...............but a bad name last a long time .
Old 06-23-2003, 08:16 AM
Inactive User

jimm II & holshotbb,
Sorry to hear about you troubles with Hughes, but I want to thank both of you for updating this post and letting other potential buyer know of Hughes customer service. I will be buying from someone else.

Thanks again,
drag-n
Old 06-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Inactive User

Default Rockers

Hughes Magnum rockers are made in the USA. Not offshore. I saw the rockers in question, the black marks all over them would not come off and ruined the rockers unless Dave wanted to sell them at 1/2 price or something. The customer JimmII did not use the correct method to check the rocker ratios. They did not check them on the engine. Hughes guys and the manufacturer checked them and they were well within tolerences. JimII has several incorrct facts in his e-mail. The rest of you guys need to rememebr that just because someone types it on the internet it is not gospel. We are all entitled to our opinons. JimII should not ever buy from Hughes if he was truly upset with the service. If he wanted somthing that he knew he really wasn't entitled to and is just trying to bad mouth a company on this forum, then shame on him. Other people should make up their own minds based on actual experiences with each indiviual company. JimII is obviusly upset and is showing his anger to the world to "get back" at Dave. Not very professional. I have had problems with companies before and usually with level heads and compromise we can come to an agreement. Jim II got back a 50% refund for a set of good rockers that were defaced and out of warranty?????Doesn't seem out of line to me. As far as the Canadaian exhange rate, Hughes has a dealer in Canada that can bypass those problems. The guy with the shim problem should call Hughes again and explain the problem to Kevin, he will make it right. Thanks for hearing my two cents. I am not trying to make enemies just want everyone to make their own decisions.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Inactive User

Default Alternative sources

A while back I was calling around to by a big Solid grind camshaft.
I called Hughes and thier price was around $180.
I called several other places including Engle. I noticed that the Engle and Hughes specs were very similar, just not dual pattern.
I asked the guy and he said that they ground cams for Hughes.
So I ask for a price and it's $125, custom ground on a wider lobe separation. This was about a year and a half ago so prices may have changed.
But I imagine if you are looking to buy a Hughes type grind, call Engle, it's probably cheaper for the same cam.

To Chumley, I checked Hughes website recently and I would like to know what happened to the flow numbers they used to advertise on their ported iron heads eh?
Maybe had to remove them for being a little too optimistic?

P.S. I called Hughes back and gave them a chance to price match and they wouldn't do it.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

Chumley, in response to your post let me say this. First, if the rockers in question were within spec as you say, "Dave" made a mistake by not offering to either check them himself, or making sure that JimII was checking them in the correct manner. Secondly, black magic marker will easily come off metal surfaces with any good solvent. I just tried it before typing this post. Third, why wouldn't Dave just offer to exchange the rockers for a known good set, and have his customer happy with his products AND service. Even if he charged the customer shipping, most would be more than happy. I think if you look over this whole thread, you'll see that the Hughes people were very unprofessonal-even if they were right about the condition of the rockers. I know that people at Crane and Comp Cams don't talk down to their customers in this fashion. Again, even is JimmII is completely wrong and Dave is completely right, I'll never buy from Hughes in case of some discrepency. Just my two cents......djs
Old 06-24-2003, 12:45 PM
Inactive User

Laugh Hey Chumley, Still waiting to hear from you

C'mon, fess up about those flow numbers!

You said that he didn't check them on the engine, he said he did, who are we to believe. He has given info on who checked the rockers, you said Hughes guys and the manufacturer(remains unamed).
You mention that the rockers were out of warranty, ooohh, a whole 30 frickin day warranty?!! Lucky us, we should at least be able to break in the cam by then! Why don't they just advertise them on frickin TV alongside all the other 30 day warranty junk!

While you are thinking up an answer to the flow question, why are some of your Dyno sheets in your Dyno results section not crossing at 5252rpm?
Are they B.S. too? You folks had better make it right by these guys or risk everyone that sees this giving you :flip: negative publicity.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Inactive User

I've been following this and just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I still think they have great cams! No questions here. They ARE done for them by Engle, but Engle directly doens't have as nice of grinds for std. stuff.

While I was thinking about building my next engine by basically sole sourcing almost everything through Hughes, after reading the above, I'm having 2nd thoughts....more like no thoughts.

I was thinking the same thing about the Flow Numbers that were once on the website. I seriuously doubted them from the beginning - their low flow nunbers (up to .300) are unmatched by almost everything else I've seen. I can't be sure anymore, because they are not there anymore!

The reason the dyno results don't cross @ 5250 is because they have two different scales - one for Torque, one for HP. I don't know why they would do this - if not only that they are indeed lying. I did plot them out myself on Excel and did the chart and came pretty close to the 5250 cross.

I think they should get their act together. I would be pissed off too if they pulled that rocker shit with me. If the rockers are fine, but have magic marker on them, why not sell them on their 'Clearance Items' page on the web? Makes you think.

While I would still buy their cams because the results are awesome, I don't think they will get a dollar more (that's a penny in US $) out of me for any other parts.

Mills
Old 06-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mills

The reason the dyno results don't cross @ 5250 is because they have two different scales - one for Torque, one for HP. I don't know why they would do this - if not only that they are indeed lying. I did plot them out myself on Excel and did the chart and came pretty close to the 5250 cross.

Mills
Mills, I saw both scales and they read the same straight across from each other, thats like having just one scale. The hp and tq cross about 5340 or so, which isn't 5252.
So this tells me that it's an overlay of some sort that someone put up there after looking at the dyno sheet.
Hell, why not just scan the Dyno sheet? Maybe the results weren't satisfactory.
I just don't trust them after they moved the flow numbers in their favor, what's stopping them from lying on the Dyno?
Notice they don't have an independent neutral party test for them.
Notice we haven't heard back from Chumley or "Dave" at Hughes.
I am sure they are hoping if they stay quiet, this will all go away!
Old 06-24-2003, 05:05 PM
Inactive User

What tests are you looking at? 440 Stage I Victor is same scales -Correct and it seems to be @ 5250 for cross - the other Stage I tests are not the same scales. 440 Stage II also looks OK for scales and 5250 cross.

Don't get me wrong, not defending what they are doing, and I totally agree that there would be nothing wrong with scanning the sheet itself.