Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:57 PM

Confused anyone have a fast heavy car with 440 4 spd ?

i have a 73 rr 68 440 4spd and i wanna make it faster has 750 dbb 4.10 gear engine needs rebuilt i ran 13.70 on this old engine what mods do you have done to yer car?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

What changes have already been done?
How fast do you want to go?
How much can you spend?
Will the car be street driven or track only?
What type of fuel will you use?
Street tires or slicks?
More information sure would help.

Usually headers and a 2.5" or 3" dual exhaust system are a good starting point. Then a performance electronic ignition system. Then a cam package. Then intake, carb, fuel system. Then better heads and more compression if needed.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:26 PM

content 73 RR 440 4 spd

car has 68 440 4spd not sure think might b .30 over hasnt ben rebuild for a long time 4 spd 4.10 gear 750 dbb pumper vacc secondarys holley single plane street dominator intake stock heads have to mix lead with the gas not sure what cam new centerforce clutch engine oil cooler new mopar vicious fan cool can for gas holley mech fuel pump i think it is a 80 gph prob need a better one like electric want drag shocks cant find em have stock pinon snubber ajustable one wont fit this car is mane street car i only took to the track once gonna go back when i rebuild the motor i wanna get high mid to high 11s or to mid 12s highest anything faster then high 12s i was thinkin about a 440 stroker how many hors would this stroker have with eb heads or indy heads? i kindof wanna run pump gas but i wanna spank my friends 77 trans am stroker 400 if you have some good ideas help me out i dont have a tone of money right no but i wanna plan out what i want to do i really want that 5spd trans i'm not gonna tub the car out i just want a really fast street car
Old 04-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

Default well

well, you have to decide what time you want...you can probably smoke that trans am right now....have you tried?
if that motor still runs reasonably than you really don't have to rebuild it to get it to run mid 12's. i bet a set of heads would put you right down almost a full second...hear's my thinking.
you have to mix lead with the gasoline, right? that means, the last time the heads were worked on, there was still leaded gasoline! thats a long time for a set of heads. what casting number are the heads? should be 452 for 68 i think.
what does the cam pull too? what rpms do you shift for fastest et? if the cam pulls to 6000 rpm (do you have headers? motor probably won't pull much past 5500 if it has manifolds no matter what cam is in it) than you probably have enough camshaft to get into the 12's. some good work done to the heads (port and polish, good valve job), maybe a slight rise in compression...what altitude are you at? at 2500 ft above sea level or more, you can run 10.5 on the street, below that try to stay closer to 10.

another maybe more costly route would be to go with the edelbrock heads and have a good shop ensure their quality. eb heads are definitely capable of 12 second times right from the box on a capable 440. exactly how much does your car weigh?

i feel your intake is fine. that should work in the 12s with a 4 speed.

you need more carb. you want a double pumper or a race demon at least 830cfm.

a barry grant fuel pump might be of order but if revs are kept below 6200 the mech should work

i think if the motor is okay (do a compression test...does it burn any oil...etc) you can get that thing into the 12s with not much problems...the power is in the heads...
Old 04-18-2003, 07:54 PM

Smile thanks

yes i have headers the cam pulls to about around 6,000 ive raced him he ran a 13.40 i ran a 13.70 his motor was 400 eb heads fresh and he has slicks with trick springs traction bars

i have a old motor thats ben ripped on for a long time and still rund pretty go but i'm sure it needs freshened up bad my car is somewhere between 3800 and like 4100lbs i hurd i shift the car at like 5500havin some traction problems off the line in 1st and 2nd should a get a demond carb i hurd those are really sweet carbs
Old 04-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

I am still confused on the second line of your second post...says ou have a 750 dbl pumper with vacuum secondaries?????
Old 04-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

Hey, don't be confused, I used to have one of those. The model # is 3310-2. It could not be double pump and vacuum secondaries at the same time, of course, but it could go either way. I was young and dumb and couldn't tune it right and traded it for a 650 vac. BTW--a friend of mine had a 4300 lb. package (with him in it) that went 9.70's in the 1/8. That worked out to a high 13 in the quarter, if it ran according to the math. It was a factory 360 HP/slapstick 904 car. It had a purple shaft 509, headers, otherwise stock bolt-on pieces, and a 2.76 rear gear. It sure suprised the hell out of me. He bought the car with the mechanicals already in place, so I got perplexed as to how he could do that with such a gear, but he did. Hopefully, with more cubes, you can out-do him. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:27 PM

Default yes holley 750 dbbl pumper vaccume secondaries

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Garceau
I am still confused on the second line of your second post...says ou have a 750 dbl pumper with vacuum secondaries?????
Old 04-19-2003, 12:22 AM
Inactive User

i had to cut about an inch off the top and bottom pieces of my pinion snubber to make it fit. unclamp the back of your leaf springs and have sticky tires on your car and your already quicker than your friends poncho.
you can get your car alot faster without spending too much if any at all.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:58 AM

Question leaf spring

Quote:
Originally posted by sixpackgut
i had to cut about an inch off the top and bottom pieces of my pinion snubber to make it fit. unclamp the back of your leaf springs and have sticky tires on your car and your already quicker than your friends poncho.
you can get your car alot faster without spending too much if any at all.
so the clamp thats on the very back of the 2 leaf springs take them off both left and right spring leave the fronts?
Old 04-21-2003, 03:46 AM
Inactive User

If your running stock unported heads, I would slap on a new set of Edelbrock heads. With the stock heads, by the time you add the larger valves, hardened seats, porting, springs, retainers, etc there won't be much difference in cost.

If the short block is in good condition you may be able to use it as is and have maybe close to 10:1 compression? which would work with pump gas with the aluminum heads.

The cams a real unknown. The stock Edelbrock valve springs are only good for about 6,000 RPM. Car Craft built a 10.3:1 compresion engine with a comp cams extream energy high lift cam that only had 230 duration @ 0.050" and the engine made 540 HP, but a larger cam would require a valve spring change.

I am planning to build a simular engine because it is a very street friendly setup. Some changes from the Car Craft engine that I plan is they used the heavy TRW pistons. I would use Ross #820101 forged flat-top pistons which are much lighter than the TRW pistons and I think JEGs had then advertised for under $450?
I would also try the Hughes cam HE3038BL 230/238 @ 0.050" lift and 0.549"/0.572" lift with 1.6:1 rocker arms.

The Car Craft article used an Edelbrock RPM intake and 750 cfm carb with a 1" carb spacer. If you go with a single 4-bbl intake this RPM one is really good, but I would use a larger carb. My engine will be using a 6-pack setup so I can use the factory fresh-air ducting under the Coronet R/Ts hood.

This setup should get you into the 11's unless the cars drivetrain and suspension can't handle the power. The engine should also, run on pump gas and actually have a decent idle quality. This setup is also a good basis for even more power. You could trade some low eng torque and idle quality for more upper RPM power by using a larger cam and maybe a single plane intake like the Mopar M1.
The heads could also be ported for even more power, and if you plan to run race gas you can alaways increase the compression ratio.

The cost of a the Edelbrock heads, head bolts, RPM intake manifold, gaskets, cam, lifters, 1.6:1 rocker arms, pushrods, timming chain, and such should be less than $2,500 from mail order places.
If you need to rebuild the short block, expect to spend about $1,500 for blue-printing the short block and using quality parts.