Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Inactive User

Help squeezing a V-8 into my Dart

I have a question (relating to my future plans for '66 Dart). Is it possible to fit a V-8 under the hood where only a slant resides?

If a V-8 will fit (without clearancing fenders and wheel wells or anything else) am I limited to small block or could I make my dreams of a Big block a reality?

And if a V-8 wont fit, any ideas on how to get my slant to get me some ET's near or in the 12's?

any input at all would be nice. also expect some posts regarding tranny, rear end, and suspension questions coming, also where the best place to get said parts would be.

thank you.
Caesar
Old 04-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Click here; http://www.bigblockdart.com/
I'm haveing a hard time with the computer today. It is loading VERY slow. Otherwise, there would be more to click.
Not sure about a big block.
But, for the car other than the engine, a V-8 tranny is needed. The slant 6 tranny won't bolt up.
Driveshaft will need to be shortened.
The rear should be upgraded to a 8 3/4 or larger.
The rear springs should come from springs and things. MoPars S/S springs are not made to well as off recent. Inferior metal is used.
Subframe connectors to tie the car together is a good idea.
Headers are not a problem in most cases.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:41 PM
Inactive User

They were available with a V-8, so the answer to your question is yes.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

I am in the process of putting a 360 in my 66 dart gt. Schumacher services sells a good motor mount kit.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Inactive User

I have a 63 plymouth valiant. I believe the engine bay width is the same. In 67 they made the engine bay wider so a big block can be squeezed in there. As for my 63, the sb fits nicely.
with headers, could not fit power steering gear box. Things you should do: upgrade too better brakes. charging system and larger radiator, bigger rear end. My transmission tunnel is narrow and I needed to cut and modify it to clear the 727 transmission I used. If you do not clearance the transmission to body, you will get all kinds of sounds coming through the floor. recommend 904 trans to avoid too much floor mods. Very first thing to do is PLAN what you want to do (Do not expect to have a 12 sec car that you can use as a daily driver, set realistic goals, I have seen lots of half built projects, I my self have had a few), set a budget and have fun. Some of the other people on the site like the /6s. They got them running pretty fast, so do not ignore what you got. you could put egg on a lot of guys faces when they find out that you got a siixer. Most of all have fun, that is what it is all about.
dj
Old 04-19-2003, 09:09 PM

SB fits in there good. Power steering only if you use lame logs for exhaust. Spitfire's are probably the cheapest header you can get for these narrow A's without fenderwells. Get the mounts off any 64-66 V8 A they bolt right to your K, (ditch that banana mount for the 6) no problem. Get a 904 for all the right reasons. Upgrade to anything in the rear department including a 8 inch out of a maverick, they fit with a tad of muscling. The radiator should be changed for the hose bung positions, get a drop down center link from the same 64-66 V8 A you got the motor mounts from.
If you wanna go big (like me!) in a 64-66 A, get a 400 and put a 440 crank in it and some KB pistons. 451 cubes fit with Hipo logs (no studs on the far driver side, it hits the log) ) Schumacker or StreetMasters custom ears. and a 727 with a few mods. Get 4 3/4 nuts and put them between the K and the subframe, that allows the 727 to fit the tunnel and gets the motor down in the frame so the logs can snake around the steering column with about 1/32 of clearance. put a few washers under the 2 inside bolts of the steering box to kick its coupler outboard a few millimeters, it all helps. Fab an exhaust out of 2.5 bends and a welder. 440 will not fit simply becasue the heads are wider and the logs will hit the inner fenderwells, but if you wanna cut them out anyway, it would fit better because the exhaust ports will clear the shock towers for header installation. everything else is basic stuff.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Default HEY PISCHTA

Holy cow you are from Tustin? I grew up in that city, went to veeh, then Columbus Tustin, then Tustin high school. i live in westminster but I am in tustin all the time with the Dart. I would appreciate if there was an outside chance of making a Mopar buddy that lives close by. I need a lot of instruction with Mopar stuff it is all very new to me. Email me at oibrownskin@hotmail.com i would appreciate it.

thank you.
Caesar
Old 04-20-2003, 12:12 AM

Yeah, cruise over, you got my number.