Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-29-1999, 04:07 PM
Inactive User

Question

Any one hear anything about testing for the pro stock teams. Don't find alot of info here where I live, mostly gm stuff. Also the new Hemi, any news? Thanks
Old 12-29-1999, 06:22 PM
Inactive User

Only thing I have heard is that the new Hemi will make it's debut at the NHRA Winternationals Feb.2000 The factory teams are Geoffrion/Alderman and Larry Morgan/John Nobile.Larry Nance has lost his Mopar sponsorship,Allen Johnson may or may not be back in a Dodge next year.Rumor is going around that he is considering a GM next year,especially if he gets offered a GM factory sponsorship.The Hemi is getting daily dyno time at Nickens shop and at larry Morgans shop also.Supposedly the new heads are what they are really working on.There will be 4 Avengers in 2000,no Neons as previously thought.Larry Morgan's will be built by Don Ness in Minnesota and larry has had great success with Ness cars.John Nobile's car will be built by R.J.Race Cars,same as who built his Olds.Not sure who will build the Alderman/Geoffrion cars,but I hope they are Jerry Haas cars.
Old 12-29-1999, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hey Christopher, congratulations on your Moderator position! From your posts that I've read, I'd say you are one of the best people here for the job.
Old 12-29-1999, 11:41 PM

I would be very surprised to see Allen Johnson in a GM. He and his father have raced Mopar's all of their lives.

When I talked to him at the Keystone Nationals last September, one of the things we talked about was when he was going to replace his current car (Geoffrion's car from the Eicke Days). He said he planned to have a new Avenger by mid season.

His father Roy has done all of the work on the motor's since mid season last year, but as of last September, he still only has one real good motor, named Homey, that Dale Eicke built right before his sponsorship ended.

His web site is www.allenjohnson.com if you are interested.
Old 12-29-1999, 11:52 PM
Inactive User

Thank you Larry,I appreciate it very much.My post about Allen Johnson comes direct from a rumor(and we all know how those are!!) and from Allen himself.I e-mailed Allen about the GM deal and he said it was a possibility,but that is all he would say.I personally don't want Allen in a GM car,but I put myself in a similar situation.....If I was a independent Mopar racer and GM or Ford offered me big bucks and factory help,I'd have to look at it.
Old 12-30-1999, 03:53 AM

Gang,

There's a computer photo of Nobile's car at NHRA Online.
http://www.nhraonline.com

Shoot, don't know if the above is a "clickable" link but it's the correct URL.

Congrats, Christopher on the new job. I'll be attending some of the NHRA events this year PLUS one of my very best friends is the Director of NHRA's Track Announcers Guild -- so I'll try to keep y'all informed on the Pro Stock MoPars.

Happy New Year
Old 12-30-1999, 04:51 AM
Inactive User

Thanks JC, and seeing as you have a real good insight,do keep us informed.
Old 12-30-1999, 11:21 PM

You were right Christopher. I received an email from Allen saying the same thing about him being approached by GM. He did say it might not happen in 2000 though.
Old 12-30-1999, 11:22 PM

Allen also said he would be attending the pro stock super bowl again this year.
Old 12-31-1999, 07:25 PM
Mopars win..others whine

I can not wait till the Pro stock superbowl here in Baytown. I keep checking the track to see if there is any testing and so far none as of yet. I got to work on Jan 29 but I will try to make it out there after I get off. Maybe I will see some of the new stuff. Happy New Year all!!!
Old 01-02-2000, 05:20 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks to all of you for your response. got an e-mail from The Dodge Boys web site and he insisted they were still testing the Hemi. They have two running on the dyno but are making about the same hp as the wedge motor. They also have some more new parts to test but he didn't say what kind. They will test in Jan. so maybe we will hear more then. I want to see the Mopar back on top in NHRA and NASCAR.

[This message has been edited by Maxwedge (edited January 02, 2000).]
Old 01-05-2000, 02:08 AM

Question

Hi I am new and have been enjoying reading up on the pro stockers. I haven't really watched much since the mopars haven't had much luck. I can't stand watching Johnson winning time and time again. To me he is one of the most arrogant racers I have seen. My questions is is there a good chat area for us little people that race ourselves? I have a 69 Dart Swinger that I race (12.90's-13.00's) and drive on the street and my husband has a 64 Polara that runs 10.50's at a 128mph. I enjoy talking to people that love to drag race and would appreciate any info. Thank you. MOPAR OR NO CAR
Old 01-05-2000, 12:44 PM
Inactive User

Hey, you have come to the right place. A bunch of the guys on this forum drag race and while they may not always agree, they all are super friendly and know a heck of a lot more than I ever will. (PRO, Dart, and Christopher come to mind right offhand.) Check out Performance Talk for lots of good info on all kinds set ups, especially the ever popular A bodies.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 01-09-2000, 01:07 PM
Mopars win..others whine

Well guys, the Nickens people were at Houston raceway this past Thursday. I did not get to see them but my buddy did. He saw the haulers and the car in the staging lanes. He pulled over on the street to watch the run. You can see the track from the street as well as the time board. After waiting 10 minutes they staged the car. After the run the time clock showed he ran a "6.49"!!!!! I asked him if he was sure and he said that is what it was. If this is true I think that is an unofficial record! He wasn't sure on the speed though.He said Darrell Alderman was driving it too. This buddy of mine I work with and he also bracket races Rustangs (sorry for the bad word). He knew I was watching the track and that is why he pulled over and watched. What a great guy, even if he is a Ferd lover. I hope that time is real cause if it is, look out Warren.
Old 01-09-2000, 08:27 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Sounds good if true and leagle. Could have misread the board but being a Mopar diehard I hope not. We will see soon. Wheb is the Pro Stock Super Bowl? Any more test news.
Old 01-09-2000, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

I don't know about a 6.49.I'll admit,I'm skeptical about that.Not saying it didn't happen,but the clocks could have been"adjusted" in case anyone was looking.A 6.79, I'd belive that.I'd like to know what the speed was.Either way,Warren and the rest of the GM boys had better stand by!!
Old 01-09-2000, 11:35 PM

A 6.49? As much as I would like to believe it, they were probably running the car light as most teams do in pre season testing.

Even taking that into consideration, I find that number very hard to believe.

Once they get that motor on the track, I think it will take a fair amount of time to get it sorted out with rear end ratio's, trans ratio's, etc.

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible
Old 01-10-2000, 01:09 AM
Inactive User

Lets see, a family run Mopar pro stocker isn't getting factory backing? If Allen Johnson has to switch to GM it's going to be the first time in a long time that I would cheer for a brand X in pro stock. Even against the "other dodge boys"
Old 01-10-2000, 01:27 PM
Inactive User

6.49? No way. Not even underweighed. 7.49 might be close to the truth. Is there a rumor that Allen Johnson is switching to a GM? I hope it's not true, but business is business.

[This message has been edited by DartGT66 (edited January 10, 2000).]
Old 01-10-2000, 02:47 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt, besides Chrysler has spent a Sh*tload of time and money on the new motor, I would doubt if they would release it without it being extreamly competative. Remember when they released the original 426hemi, and how much better it was, and how it immediatly shattered ALL the records that stood.
If it was a GM motor we were talking about, I too would be totaly skeptical, but its not.
Wedge
Old 01-10-2000, 10:24 PM
Inactive User

Wink

I e-mailed Houston racetrack and another guy I had talked to about the Dodge Boys to see if any test reports were available, As of 4:00pm Est no one had responded. Will keep posted if I here any thing.
Old 01-11-2000, 12:01 AM

Cool

With the speculations above rather a 6.49 or 6.79 that is something that makes this MOPAR GIRL smile. And to have Darrell behind the wheel (he's my hero) even more smilin. I would have to say our future is so bright we have to wear shades. Please keep us updated on this. We have watched a##hole Johnson more than one person should have to endure in a lifetime.
Old 01-15-2000, 04:08 PM
Inactive User

Question

Congrat's on your moderator position Christopher. I have enjoyed your MOPAR knowledge. As we all know the "HEMI" is a perfect design but will NHRA let them dominate?
Old 01-15-2000, 10:24 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I have just seen, what I assume to be the NEW hemi. When I saw it, something bothered me about it. I later figured out what it was. The hemi that I saw had only one plug per cylender.
I thought Alcohol burning cars Needed 2 plugs per cylender..
What gives?????
Old 01-16-2000, 03:49 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

I recieved an e-mail from Houston Raceway but the man said he knew thar the Dodges had been testing but he knew no times. I still haven't heard back from The Dodges Boys. Does Nickens have a web site? Sure is hard to find out any thing, NHRA reported KJ times but have yet to see any other test results. If you haven't heard KJ ran a 6.77 at Montgomery Raceway Park in Montgomery, Al.
Old 01-16-2000, 05:36 PM
Inactive User

Thanks DUSTER340!! I talked to a guy in Houston last night(he bought some parts from me) he said Nickens and crew were testing,but wasn't sure of the driver,said it could have been Asst.crew chief Mark Ingersoll.Said the times were not being released either,but doubted the 6.49,speed would tell the whole story.
Old 01-23-2000, 07:12 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Just a little bit from National Dragster: The Johnsons will again campaign without factory support. "As far as mopar is concerned," said Allen, "it's like we don't even exist. But we have some things in the fire for the 2001 season for additional sponsorship backing. For this year, we'll just try to continue to be the fastest Pro Stock Dodge in the country."

It's almost embarrasing to hear a quote like this from someone that is as hard core mopar as the Johnson family. Will they have bags to put over our heads at the Mopar trailer at the national events so we as mopar fans will not be shamed. If they can pump money to the likes of Larry Morgan and that other guy I think there should be room for a true mopar fan. And the way Allen is running I think Mopar could probably learn a thing or two from there program. Hopefully that 2001 deal doesn't involve a corporate switch.
Old 01-24-2000, 05:53 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Hi everybody. I normally post in the Ram truck forum but read them all. I totally agree that Ma Mopar should have a bright red face when it comes to ignoring the Johnson family. I have always been a fan of the little guy and was a huge Glidden fan untill he was forced into retirement. It still pisses me off to think about all the money Ford is pumping into Forces operation while one of the best gas engine builders of all time got zip. Sorry - Johnson and Johnson is the team for me nowdays.
Old 01-28-2000, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

I hope the 6.49 is for real cause Mopar
need a shot in the arm.. Looks like some body was watching....
Old 01-28-2000, 01:42 AM

After reading this, I don't believe the 6.49 was accurate. Not even close.
http://www.nhraonline.com/wklynews/2...ry/012602.html

New Hemis may be ready
According to team owner David Nickens, the team has been working on the new-generation Hemis that have been undergoing development for the past year, and he said there is a strong chance that either Geoffrion or Alderman will have one under the hood at the season opener.

"I can't say the odds are 100 percent, but we're trying. We're working on them like wildfire. The initial dyno tests have started out pretty good. In fact, we're initially further along than we thought we'd be at this stage. We could run it in one of the cars in the next week or two. We'll try to run at the SuperBowl in Houston [on the weekend before the Winternationals] to see how well we'll fare against the other teams."

The pro stock super bowl will be a good indication of how well the Hemi does.

If the motor was running that well, I don't think Nickens would say the odds aren't 100% of having the motor in at least one of the cars.

I have a friend that is involved in pro stock racing, and if I hear any information, I'll post them for you all.

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible