Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

Default Engine pump up

Well, Ive got to pump up the engine with oil. Should I put the valley pan, and intake on, Install the engine, and try to pull the distributor gear out of the little distributor hole; or pull the distributor gear, pump up the engine, then install the gear, valley pan, and intake?
I've also got to find top dead center on the cam after pumping it up. Stick my finger in #1 spark plug hole and feel for compression stroke? I'm just a little nervous, everything is coming together. Please, no more suprises (can't spell).
Old 04-23-2003, 08:50 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Yes I would pull the distributor and prime it there in the car. with your gages hooked up you should see modo pressure. Yes The easy way to find TDC is to bump it over with your finger over the plug hole, when you feel the compression stroke stop and manually turn it over By hand to line the marks up between the mark on the balancer and 0 deg on the timing cover. This is true TDC, the balancer was check to see slippage when the cam was degreed right? Now if you have Timing tap (about $6) rotate it back about 20 Deg counterclockwise then clockwise to 10 deg BTDC (intial timing) This will get the slack out if any in the timing chain. Now pop the distributor in lined perfectly to #1 plug tower on the cap, put the wires on, this thing should fire instantly and break your cam in following the Manufautors procedure, very important. I little trick to priming your carb, just pull the cap of the gas tank put some compressed air hose in is for a few seconds at a time, check the accelerator pump squirters. It might be nice to have somthing to put out a fire, on first time start up.

Good Luck
Old 04-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 6 packin
Yes I would pull the distributor and prime it there in the car. with your gages hooked up you should see modo pressure. Yes The easy way to find TDC is to bump it over with your finger over the plug hole, when you feel the compression stroke stop and manually turn it over By hand to line the marks up between the mark on the balancer and 0 deg on the timing cover. This is true TDC, the balancer was check to see slippage when the cam was degreed right? Now if you have Timing tap (about $6) rotate it back about 20 Deg counterclockwise then clockwise to 10 deg BTDC (intial timing) This will get the slack out if any in the timing chain. Now pop the distributor in lined perfectly to #1 plug tower on the cap, put the wires on, this thing should fire instantly and break your cam in following the Manufautors procedure, very important. I little trick to priming your carb, just pull the cap of the gas tank put some compressed air hose in is for a few seconds at a time, check the accelerator pump squirters. It might be nice to have somthing to put out a fire, on first time start up.

Good Luck
Six packin your last sencence was cruel and unusual punishment for someone about to start a new engine LOL, but it is good advise!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Default engine pump up

Sorry if I am not understanding about engine pump up.

But, in the past I would pull the distributor in a B or RB, remove the oil pump shaft, and stick in a spare oil pump shaft that had the gear removed, and was lengthened so that a shaft would stick out of the dist hole. Attach an electric drill to this shaft and get the oil pump to start turning.

Seemed to work. Is this what you guys are talking about?

Tim
eckertt@epri.com
--------------------
1972 Cuda
Old 04-23-2003, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

Ide do it with the engine in hte car, but dont put that cam gear drive in, its a pain to get out.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

Default Shop Safety

PLEASE, when you put the air hose in the tank, use a regulator set to 1 to 2 pounds, This will prevent more work and possibly a trip to the hospital

jn