Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-23-2003, 09:32 PM
Inactive User

Default TTI headers in A-body...2 hours!

Well I think I'm sold on TTI headers. I finally got around to installing them today, only took 2 hours, and that was with the 340 having a Lakewood bellhousing added as well. The lakewood had to be clearanced just about 1/4" on the passenger side, and the rear brake line coming out of the prop/distribution valve had to be moved about 1/2" for clearance. I am SO used to struggling ALL DAY with cheap headers that I am very impressed with how much easier these went in. You still gotta unbolt the motor mounts and lift the engine but the headers actually went in with much less fussing and fighting. In my opinion, money well spent. I know others will disagree, but if they save me the hassel and busted knuckles, then I am a happy camper. Now we will see if they give any more hp or not!

Old 04-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Default TTI Headers in A body

With the TTI headers fitting so well, do you want to sell the 340 exhaust manifolds that came off?

Tim

eckertt@epri.com
Old 04-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

eckertt...If I had the stock exhaust manifolds still I would but, I bought the car with some el-cheapo headers on it. Unsure of the brand name but they were a nightmare to remove and re-install.

The TTIs have extra thick flanges, and gaskets which have necessitated the use of 1" header bolts instead of the 5/16" ARPs I was using. I also have great ground clearance now compared to the old ones as the TTIs dont go under the center link. So far Im sold. I know others dont agree and wont buy into them, but to each his own, right?

Old 04-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

LOL, so long as your happy, who cares.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Inactive User

Im expecting mine UPS tommorrow?I cant wait to sawzall those low draggen heddman headers off.You said that you will need 1in header bolts?Did the headers line up with the H-pipes or did you get adapters.Thanks
Old 04-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Inactive User

Default tti

i had fun sawsalling the old roadrashed heddmans off my cuda 340. the tti's came with correct header bolts. i left the exhaust studs on the ends in place, i felt i'ld be opening a can of worms trying to get them off.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:08 PM
Inactive User

sbfinne,

I havent installed the h pipe or the mufflers yet, tho I did put in the tailpipes and hangers just to see how well they fit. I will have to cut the turndowns off to install the rectangular tips. The tips are just beautiful, works of art!

moparmotorman, you say yours came with header bolts? I may have misplaced them if I ever got them. Its been almost 4 months since I bought them, just got around to installing them. Think I will look around the house to see if there is a baggie somewhere with header bolts. I just ordered new ARP bolts so no biggie if I dont find any here.

There's a swap meet this sunday here in Clearwater, think I'll try to sell my old headers, and all the other clutter in my garage.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Inactive User

If those Headers fit like you say,I bet I can get them in under 2 hrs.My front end has been apart so much it falls apart like a lego set.Thanks for the info..
Old 04-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

Well it seems I did misplace the bag with the header bolts. I found them tucked in with the collectors. The ARP bolts I ordered are polished so I will use them but the black grade 8 bolts supplied will work just as well. sbfinne, I know what you mean about the front end, I have taken mine apart a bunch of times now too. Have gotten better with all the practice, plus I rebuilt the whole thing recently so all is nice and tight now.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:48 AM
Inactive User

i bought the ceramic coated TTIs , and the header bolts they came with are either stainless polished or chrome . i really can't tell. so they look good on the ceramic coating.