Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-01-1999, 01:13 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Does anyone know of any problems with Chrysler airbags not deploying properly? My husband hit a tractor on the road after dark with no lights or reflectors at 55, destroyed the front end of his car but the air bags did not deploy. By the grace of God he was spared serious injury but it really worries me to think this could happen to someone else and they not be as fortunate. Appreciate any input.
Old 09-01-1999, 06:32 PM
Inactive User

Try National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA).
I am glad to hear that your husband is okay. I think it shows how well the rest of the safety engineering worked! The air bag is not the only piece of equipment that is at work, in saving lives, in an accident. Most people think that without the airbag you are sitting on something barely safer than a shopping cart. Far from it.
No offence, and hopefully I am reading this wrong, but I don't think this chat area is an appropriate pond for a class action fishing trip. Good luck.
Old 09-01-1999, 09:56 PM
Inactive User

I think you are reading between the lines here, I have not even thought about a class action lawsuit and did not mean to post any thing controversial here. I just am curious as to if this is a common occurance. I'll go away and let all of you post about the wonders of mopar. Sorry I intruded.
Old 09-02-1999, 03:16 AM
Inactive User

I'm sure that the class action thing was meant to run you off. Its not you its just that real Chrysler fans are very upset at these "wanna be Chrysler fans" that bought R/T Dakotas and are now suing DC because of a simple mistake. Its just ridiculous that these idiots are pulling this crap, DC tried to make it right by admiting to a mistake and offering their money back, but for some people thats not enough, they want everything. Sad part is, there are more people really mad about the R/T Dak towing issue than I expected. These are the type of people we don't want driving Mopars, becuase they don't know how to drive in the first place......or else they would know that a little truck with a big motor doesn't equal big towing. It says R/T people that means "muscle car(truck)" not BIG OL SEMI!!!! Oops sorry bout that I'm off my soapbox now, its just something that I am sure if aggravating real Mopar fans. Please hang out and chat with us, we could sure use new faces once in a while. BTW glad to see your husband is ok. Good luck,
Nick
Old 09-02-1999, 05:24 AM
Inactive User

I e-mailed this person saying almost the same thing and invited her back also.Hopefully she'll return.And the stereo works great and sounds good Mr.Carnes.
Old 10-06-1999, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

The airbags in my Neon did deploy when I struck another car at about 30 mph. BTW, the rapid air pressure increase inside the car blew out the side windows.
Old 10-07-1999, 01:10 AM

this person posted this on aug 31,99. maybe we should look into the air-bags not deploying ourselves. seems to me she was looking for guidance and she didn't get it. i belive this person could be a true mopar fan if someone out there could give her some help on solving her problem. i am also glad he husband didn't get hurt. so come on everyone how could the air-bags not deploy??? also no one should be afraid to check back unless the administrator blocks them and i would not pay to much attention to any junior of full members that do not have there e-mail address on their profile. what are they hiding?????????

[This message has been edited by Marshal Carpenter (edited October 06, 1999).]
Old 10-07-1999, 01:18 AM

Hmmmm. . .she didn't say how old the car was. My experience with sensors and such, age will affect the ability of them to work. When you start the car, a program is suppose to check these sensor for functionality. However, even light bulbs can go bad and her husband probably never saw the "Air Bags" lite come on. It would be interesting if the sensors, etc. could have been sent to Chrysler for analysis. Glad her husband is OK!!

JCNathan
Old 10-07-1999, 01:46 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply! Here are some answers, It was, was being the key work, a 96 Chrysler Sebring Convertible and the airbag light came on each time the car was started, which would indicate that the airbag system should be working. Chrysler sent someone to examine the car and their finding is that it was not a severe enough impact to warrant the air bags deploying. This was a 55mph on cruise control without hitting the brakes impact. Insurance totaled it for 16,500 so this was a major impact. Any ideas?
Old 10-07-1999, 03:31 AM
Inactive User

I am sorry about the loss of your car. I am glad to hear that your husband was fine. I am currently studying Electronics Engineering and I know that in order for an air bag system to be activated a number of sensors must be "tripped". Kind of like a circuit breaker. I was involved in a serios accident one tear ago where the car I was in was T-boned. The airbags went of because the particular car has G-force sensors that activated the air bag system. One last note my wife has a 96 Neon in which she asked me to disable the air bag system so that she could autocross it, and because when she was pregnant she could not sit a safe distance from the steering wheel. I don't know if I helped but maby you can kind of understand an air bag system better. Good Luck
Old 03-02-2000, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

Just a note about not including email in profiles....Hey pops, it cuts down on the SPAM. there are programs out their that search the net for email addy's....if yours is in your profile and a program comes accross this site...bingo one more spam.

~~'96 RAM V8 5.9l~~
Old 03-03-2000, 05:50 AM

I would like to know what Chrysler considers a severe impact to be. 55 MPH into a stationary object, in my opinion, is pretty severe.

------------------
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4

[This message has been edited by ehostler (edited March 03, 2000).]
Old 03-15-2000, 11:00 PM
Inactive User

souds like a serious impact to me. my wife is 4'10" 120 and she has to sit so close in our 98 Neon that you couldn't pass a softball between her and the wheel. if airbags are going to be mandatory they should all have an off switch for different drivers or adjustable pedals. If the government can mandate one safety issue then it can mandate a set of issues to deal with the same problem. The NHTSB (sp) would be the place to get this checked and if this is the first one to get it recorded so if it becomes a problem later on they have a record of service faults just like they do for aircraft.
Old 03-18-2000, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Some Air Bags do not deploy unless the drivers seat belt is buckled