Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-03-2000, 06:12 AM
Many Cubic Inches

I've just purchased lotsa parts from Mopar Performance and found the following flaws and Chryslers response to them...

1. Plug Wires...mopar logo on upside down when installed (ya, we tried every way).
Response...I'll document your comment

2. Mopar air breather. Black pie tin, really sharp...coool looking. Comes with a 25 cent wingnut to hold it down.
Response...I'll document your comment

3. Mopar valve covers. Black, really cool. Matches air breather. Comes with 50 cent tin crappy breather hole plugs.
Response...I'll document your concern.

I purchased $3000 worth of parts out of that catalogue, I want them to correct it in future runs, and as for the el-cheapo wing-nut and hole plugs...offer matching pieces.
Someone isn't thinking!
Old 03-03-2000, 08:48 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

Slepr1 - Aside from the frequently incorrect Mopar Performance "tech" line answers -
Why such a limited availability of the subtle Pentastar gauges? No FUEL LEVEL, for heavens sakes! They need to expand availability.
Make the mini starters BETTER, the fit and quality could be much better.
And lastly - More product/less price. Aren't these guys supposed to HELP the MoPar guys, as well as stay in business? $18,000 Canadian for 610 Horsepower????

------------------
Tubbed 40 Plymouth Coupe
Tubbed 71 Demon
1989 Shelby Lancer
1978 BB ClubCab
1973 Scamper 440 MHome
Old 03-04-2000, 05:00 PM
Inactive User

I have one. Why don't they offer a reasonable priced mild Big Block - 383 or 400 similar to the 300 hp 360? I don't need a 500 plus engine to drive on a semi-daily basis. Just a thought. Larry

--------------------
71 Charger 383
Old 03-05-2000, 04:17 AM
Inactive User

Not defending Mopar Performance,but this is what happens when you rely on a mass production vendor.The mini starters are the same as the assembly line starters in a new Ram,Durango,Van etc.I don't know who makes the valve covers and the wing nut is a cheap deal for the price of the air cleaner.I agree on a mid size big block,but in order to do it,you have to have people that will buy it and a lot as well.They need to have more "resto" type parts such as short blocks for the older cars.
Old 03-06-2000, 01:18 AM
Inactive User

Christopher, I would be tickled to death if I could buy a short block for my 383 from the factory with a decent warrenty. I can't currently afford to build a motor (new baby) and the short blocks that are available I have questions about the quality. It would be nice if Mopar would reproduce parts for us like GM does for their cars. It wasn't that long ago that I bought a complete front end from GM for a 68 camero. I can't even go to any of the Dodge dealers near me and find out the availability of a part unless I bring them the part number. Maybe someday... Larry

--------------------------
71 Charger 383
Old 03-06-2000, 05:22 AM
Inactive User

Here's my 2 cents. I have friends at a dodge dealership that help me with all my MP parts. It helps but not fool proof.

How bout stuff that is in the catalog but has NEVER been produced! I ordered a set of SB heads.....on back order for 4 months! I cancelled the order. Seems the heads would not be produced until enough orders came through. There are other items in there that when I tried to order them, they had been discontinued, this is from the 1999 catalog and was in the middle of the summer.
Someone said something about price...No Shit!!I wanted the MP performance gauges, the ones that look like autometers, but even with a 30 percent discount the real autometers where cheaper. I hope they can get it together and work on some of these problems
Michael
Old 03-09-2000, 11:39 AM

Slepr1, I recently purchased a Mopar Mini Starter from PAW and while I had no problems fitting to the bellhousing of my 904 tranny, the nuts they gave me to attach the wires didn't even fit the studs on the starter! To me that is just total carelessness.

Arthur
Old 03-09-2000, 12:34 PM
Inactive User

You got the nuts??? I've ordered 10 of these starters and have NEVER received the nuts with the starter.
Old 03-09-2000, 06:35 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

The one starter I bought but this was a few years ago had the nuts. Also I receently bought the black aluminum valve covers for my big block and the box said black wrinkle aluminum but the valave covers inside were the Polished aluminum. I havent sent them back cause I would rather have the polished aluminum and not the black but I didnt want to pay that much for the polished ones. Oh and I had a chrome air cleaner that was sent to me without a base once but the company I bought it from sent me a new air chrome air cleaner set and let me keep the old top.
So yes they have mix ups but hey who doesnt nowadays. I just guess we shouldnt be suprised but then we mopar addicts are used to the best and really dont want to settle for less.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 03-20-2000, 07:11 PM
Inactive User

Quality contol is the issue. spend lots get little. I just posted a comment in the drag race chat. I spent 1300 plus dollars on Max. wedge heads there a disgrace to mopar. the head gasket hangs over the combustion chamber the chambers all need to balance to the position of the exhaust valves. I refuse to put money out of my pocket to fix what should never be. I must say that Mopar discount atlanta on the web has been great fixing the problem with the right people. still waiting.
Old 03-22-2000, 04:41 AM
Inactive User

Why do they charge a small fortune for the aluminum big block water pump when you can get one at the local parts store(Kragen)new and also aluminum for $30. That's alot of extra money to have a mopar logo where nobody will see it anyway.
Old 03-23-2000, 06:54 AM
Inactive User

The ministarter is a current production piece meant for small bloks, and therefore does not fit big blocks very well. It's a high quality unit and the price is right, and with minimal effort it can be made to bolt on any big block, so I have no complaints about that. The backorder issue is very bad, they sell parts that they don't have and do not even have an idea when they are going to get them. The parts are usually done by outside vendors and repackaged in MP boxes, the quality can sometimes be way off from tolerable. First comes to mind the cut to length pushrods, 100$ worth of hydraulic tube with loose ends? But they have some good parts too that are reasonably priced. If you buy all the parts from MP you are definitely making a mistake, in many occasions there are better parts for a similar price out there.
Old 03-24-2000, 05:13 AM
Inactive User

the mini-starter fits both, you just have to take the extension off of the connectors and they are metric nuts so don't have a cow if they are a pain to tighten with the motor in the car. the problem with cost and parts is the same as with cost and cars. Mother has forgotten about the little people: 70K Viper, 35K MSRP (yeah right) Prowler, 2003 Charger - 30K, Dakota R/T - 26K, don't even mention the Neon R/T - it has the same motor as my wife's last 2 Neon's did and she does'nt believe in performance like I do. Why can't we get some performance for less than 20K, and I don't mean a stripper model without the motor.
Old 03-24-2000, 06:45 AM
Inactive User

The mini starters I have used have fit all the SB's, but not all the BB's. The bolts are metric, 8 mm and 5 mm, but the real 'problem' with the BB's is the 'half moon' in the block wher the starter should go in to. Because of some variances in castings the ministarters do not fit all big blocks. It's not a big deal, just file the housing a little where it interferes with the block, and then it fits.
Old 03-24-2000, 06:40 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

My ministarter fit fine in both of my big blocks but like you said it fits some and not others due to casting imperfections. The starters also state this that they may not fit all big blocks due to casting imperfections.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360