Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Inactive User

Default Street Fuel Cell: Foam or No Foam?

Is there any need for foam in a fuel cell on a street car?
Old 05-02-2003, 08:53 AM
Inactive User

What are you going to do with it that you need a fuel cell?

Racing-yes use the foam, for looks only, no you don't.

I did ask the installer, he said the foam will take the space of about 1 gal in my 22 gal fuel cell.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Inactive User

The reason I'm going to a cell is because im trying to get my weight to the rear and centered. This is for a Dakota where the tank is mid-ship and along the Dr side frame rail. Moving it in the rear will also allow for dual exhaust.

As for looks, im actually trying to conceil it.

I just wasnt sure if foam was a circle track only kinda thing.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Inactive User

i have a cell in my off road rig. the foam keeps the fuel slosh down. Its up to you. why not? its already in there. otherwise it'll probably just end up your shelf being saved for who knows what. Thats what would happen at my house.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Inactive User

You can order a cell with or without foam saving $'s without. I personally would use the foam and may be when I upgrade my fuel system.

drag-n
Old 05-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

yeah, most cells you can order with or without foam. If they offer both street and drag cells withOUT foam, it must not be "needed". However, all oval track ones (no sump or side pickup) seem to have it, which is understandable
Old 05-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Inactive User

If the fuel cell is pretty good size, I would use the foam to reduce the fuel slosh. The slosh / weight transfer won't be as big a problem with a small fuel cell, but a big 20+ gallon fuel cell should use the foam or you will feel the fuel sloshing when you go around corners. Also, use a fuel filter before the pump as the foam can tear into small peices. My foam is a bit tore up where the filler is from filling the cell and also sticking in a stick to see how much fuel is in the fuel cell. That brings up another thing, my fuel level sender dosen't work with the stock gauges even though it is supposed to be a "Chrysler" sender unit. I have heard simulat problems from others using fuel cells with sending units.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

I bought my sender and new guage from the people who had/made the cell.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Banned

O.k. here's the low down on foam usage. Drag cars never need the stuff. Why? "cause the single or dual pick up is at the rear edge and upon launch all fuel is pushed to the rear of the tank where it stays until the nose drops at the finish line. This is actually helpfull for the fuel supply.

Oval track cells can have a right side trap. I have one in the old dirt tracl car. A trap the is triangle in shape tha runs fron to back on the right side about 2 inches away from the side wall. I'd guess it is about 3 inches high. Used to trap the last gallon of fuel for long runs and to keep the pick up covered. On road courses this helps under braking a lot too and most have a dual pick up on both sides for courses.

The foam is used to stop fuel slosh. Go ask a tanker driver what happens when he has to stop with a half load of fuel in his tanker next time you see one filling the gas station. He'll tell you it gets to sloshing back and forth with a force enough to slide the truck through a red light if you do not varry your driving. That's why you have to have a special class ratting on your license to drive one. It does the same thing on an oval car except it will swing the rear from side to side. Like a clock pendulum.

Do not use it on the street. The street car fuel has stuff in it that you will never find in race fuel. Such as cleaners and solvents to prevent sludge removal. This will deteriate the foam quickly. It is not compatable. Plus even in race cars this foam must be replaced often. This is due to the fact that the fuel slowly degrades the foam. If left in too long it will break up and turn into a fuzzy looking sludge.

Do not use it on the street. It has absolutely no advantages and many disadvantages. Replacement gets costly over time too. So if you aint hitting the high banks it wont do a thing for you, but cost you. I'm sure you know what will happen if it breaks up and stops up the filters or fuel lines and carbs??
Old 05-03-2003, 03:48 AM
Inactive User

Thanks again dwc.. thats what i was looking for!
Old 05-03-2003, 03:50 AM
Banned

No problem dude!! I guess a ten gallon would be too small for you wouldn't it??
Old 05-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, that would only last a few miles... lol

Seems that people only offer 16 gal with the sender. It should be fine and their dimensions fit well